Friday, October 24, 2008

Jenise


Today we go to the vet to see if there is anything else we can do for my dog's failing hips. When I got home last night she couldn't walk, her hips kept giving out. Today she is wobbly but walking and clearly in pain even with the wonder meds that we have been giving her.
When I was 10 we had to put my shepherd down because his hips failed. We let it go to long because his mind was fine. 27 years later and I am in the same situation my mother was in. Smart dog, aware dog, decrepit hips. 
Quality of life issues suck. At least when it is a person, they can let you know what they would want in this position. All my dog tells me is that she wants some of my pesto noodles.

Update:
She has ruptured the tendons on her left knee. They could surgically fix it but it won't help the fact that she has arthritis and mylopathy, which is a degeneration of the spinal cord. The doctor doesn't think surgery is the right plan. So, more pain killers and a weekly shot to help lubricate the joints around her knees and hips and waiting. The mylopathy sucks because she will be alert and aware the whole time she loses her ability to walk and move. Her brain is outliving her body.

5 comments:

Mrs Big Dubya said...

I'm sorry -- that sucks, I was really hoping there was something they could do

Kathy Bridges said...

I can't do anything except send you all a big hug.
Our fur children have a very special place in our hearts. So hard......
kub

Pinterest Failures said...

Oh no. That is tough and heartbreaking.

Kara said...

hugs all around.

Arwen said...

I love pets because they are like family members, but when they can't tell you how they feel or what they think it's so hard.

How is it going now?