Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Fingers Crossed

I read a few Asheville blogs, all of which are fantastic in the own right (Llew is an honorary Ashevillian). There is one that has lots of information handy for people like me (that would be someone who doesn't read the local crappy paper or watch the local news).  As I have mentioned to ANYONE who will listen, I am not insurable. One or two people have privately asked me what terminal illness I have so I will let you know the whole story. 
A few years ago my husband and I decided to use some sort of birth control besides baby roulette. We agreed, after a long debate, on the pill but since I was approaching late 30's and my mom had a few blood clots, I informed my doctor. She said 'No Problem, we'll do some tests, no biggie.' So I donated 8 vials of blood and found out I had some thing called Factor V Leiden. There are 2 types, one serious, one not so serious and I have the not so serious kind. The doctor told me I was very lucky I had an easy pregnancy, that I should never take an female hormones, I should exercise and drink lots of water. I have never had a problem with this condition and I don't take any medication and we have decided to only have one biological child so no more complicated pregnancies. 

Fast forward to this spring when I decided to start my own company. When I tried to procure health insurance the only company that would cover me was going to charge me $15,000 a year and that was with a $5000 deductible. I can get a plan with a rider but when the pre-existing condition is blood based, you spend a lot of time fighting with insurance companies about what is covered.

The petulant child in me doesn't like when people tell me I can't have something, especially something like health insurance.

This morning I read a post from one of the very awesome Asheville blogs saying that North Carolina now has a plan for high risk individuals. I was the 46th applicant. If all goes well, I will have insurance January 1 and my pre-existing condition will be cover July 1. Now, there are a few problems. They didn't list my condition as an automatic coverage illness (AIDS, attempted suicide and diabetes are automatically covered) and there have been some gaps in my coverage since no one will insure me but I HOPE I will get the insurance. 
So please, everyone, cross your fingers or rub the Buddha belly or say a little prayer or something that I qualify for this because otherwise I am not sure what we are going to do besides put all our savings into an account for what happens if I do have a blood clot.
That is a picture of the Asheville skyline. Pretty, isn't it? Sunrises and sunsets make me hopeful. Lots of things make me hopeful these days.

5 comments:

Pinterest Failures said...

wow--I will cross all fingers and toes and maybe even light a candle.

I worry about my sister not having any insurance--she just doens't have the money. I have been thinking of trying to save some money so she can get it.

Arwen said...

Fingers duly crossed.

Mrs Big Dubya said...

I'll get my mother to pray for you.... she's got a direct line, I swear.

Anonymous said...

Aw, thank you! I'm from there - I just had to move away and would move back if I could (and oh how I wish I could).

I saw that post too and was very interested since I'm in the same boat as you (self employed and can't afford my own insurance since I have pre-existing conditions.) How do you sign up?

Kathy Bridges said...

My fingers are crossed, I am rubbing my belly and I am praying. Of course, it would be better if Nancy did the praying or Ray, but maybe I can get through if I keep ringing!!!!
KUB