Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Séance?

One of my good friends is travelling for work but he travels for a month at a time. He has a wonderful wife and 2 beautiful children. I can't imagine being away from my family for that long. The other night we were talking on the phone and we were discussing insomnia. I suffer insomnia in fits and starts. When I travel, I pretty much always have it and then I have it on the weekends sometimes, just based on my overall anxiety. He is now having horrible insomnia, we pitied each other; it was a nice, sharing moment. The fact that I talked to someone for 45 minutes on the phone is a shock in and of itself. Of course the conversation didn't remove the insomnia I am suffering from now. Last night was no different; I managed to fall asleep at 1:30 only to be woken up at 2:20 by the hotel phone ringing. My dead mother was on the phone. She said, and I quote "Arwen Darling, are you ok?" My response was "Yes, Mom, I am fine but I need to sleep now."

I hung up…on my dead mother. I slept like a log.

I woke up this morning remembering the call and was a little shocked I didn't bother to ask her how the afterlife was treating her, let her know I was missing her, tell her about my daughter's perfect report card. Instead I went back to sleep. My next thought was that it was a dream but I remember waking up, sitting up and answering the phone. As I left for the office I stopped at the front desk and spoke with a clerk. I said as innocuously as I could 'I think someone called my room at 2:20 in the morning, can you tell who called me?' I decided not to mention the dead mother conversation. The clerk responded that indeed there was a call at 2:24 and he was so sorry and he gave me 5000 points for the inconvenience.

Huh? Did I just pass up a chance to talk to my dead mom? Fuck! I can only imagine that it would take a considerable amount of energy for a dead person to do something like this, especially if the person she is contacting doesn't believe in the afterlife. I have no idea what actually happened. When I get back to the hotel I am going to ask if they know who called me in the middle of the night. Happy birthday to me.

6 comments:

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

Did it sound like your mom?

I am freaking out a little bit.

Girlplustwo said...

holy shit.

Minnesota Nice said...

Oh my gosh Arwen, oh my gosh. Why then, why there...but I have heard that these things usually happen around 3 am for reasons no one knows. Wow, I think I'd have to have a seance.

Pinterest Failures said...

Whoa. I am a bit spooked.

Kristen said...

Wow ... maybe she'll call back tonight and you'll be more prepared. You HAVE to ask the hotel where the call came from at the very least.

Gordon Smith said...

BlogAsheville netizen,

See you Friday?