Friday, January 12, 2007

Stimulants

Dear Aunt A., Please don't read the second paragraph. Thanks.

Blogs
I updated my blogroll for the first time in way too long. I realized I had so many blogs that I read often and do not have over there it was time to update. I didn't update the list with Parents Behaving Badly because, although I read it all the time (it is one of the only blogs I know that is not sanctioned by the client I am working at) I always feel so dirty after reading it that I just couldn't add it. Sorry, Jay.
Really, Auntie, don't read...

Also, I used to Read a blog called Scared Bunny all the time and then the guy who wrote it just sort of disappeared. He used to be single and the blog was a very funny analysis of all the crazy women he dated. He is a daddy but in no way was his blog a 'daddy blogging' blog. He seemed to have a thing for strippers who had a thing for anal (so, it sort of makes sense he doesn't really blog about his kid and anal, right? right). Well, he's back and he's married and he has some funny stories to share (he says it is so he can get laid. I guess, instead of blogging for nickles and dimes he is blogging for head...I totally think that is a good thing to blog for). He is currently telling the story of Sister Grimm, which, I think, may be his sister in law. I have to think this because I don't think he would want to actually befriend her (of, heaven forbid, marry her) and I don't think he would marry a woman who is friends with her but the the Sister Grimm is certifiably PWT. I hope his blog continues to be as insightful and funny as it used to be because he is a great writer.

Aunt A, you can now read...

More blogging info, it is de-lurking week and I realized that I don't write comments at 'really popular' blogs. I don't actually read Dooce or Mimi Smartypants (I know, I am a heretic, move on). There are blogs that are really well written and insightful and go past whatever genre they are supposed to be about but when I read a post with 75 comments already I just don't feel that whatever I say could possibly be something original. I can't even read more than 10 comments. One of my favorite bloggers is Oh, the Joys. This woman cracks me up. But she never has less than 40 comments so I never comment. Why bother?

And then there are some blogs that I really like that get few comments. Of course, with Kristin, she is so cerebral that I think most people are lost at hello. And her blog isn't about making you laugh every day (as many are). Although, this post is fantastic. The irony of that post, to me, is close to something O. Henry could have written.
Enough about other blogs.
Books Books Books

I am reading a new Chuck Palahniuk book called Haunted. So far, so Palahniuk.

I just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy. My husband and I have talked more about that book than any other in a long time. Not easy reading. I had to actually put the book down once or twice I was so distraught by the imagery. The author leaves so much for speculation. It is not a sci-fi, it is an 'end of days' sort of book. The whole time I read the book I wanted to hug the protagonist.

I also finally read The Fallen Women and was left wondering if I was supposed to identify with any of the women. I ended up identifying with the serial killer the most, or at least liking her the most. I look forward to my writing from Ms. Guth, she can definitely write.
I have a sci-fi book that I forgot at the hotel (I can get it Monday night) and two Christoher Moore books: Blood Sucking Fiends (it's a romance, of course) and someother one I forget. If you like Tom Robbins (and let's face it, who doesn't?) you will like Moore. Start with Lamb unless you are a fundamental christian and then start with Fluke instead.
Noodle and I read The Island of Blue Dolphins and the First Lemony Snicket Book. We also have read a bunch of DiCamillo books recently (Because of Winn-Dixie and The Tale of Desperaux) and have decided she is one of our favorite authors. We just started Ozma of Oz and Noodle wanted more chapters, two weren't enough. Poor kid.

As always, let me know what you are reading and if I should read it. I like to inhale books.



10 comments:

Kristen said...

I love Go go Bimbo, too...you're right, her writing is probably too "smart" for most people. Sometimes I don't comment because I feel I have nothing that I could possibly add to what she's said...or I don't comment because I'm too busy thinking about whatever she wrote.

I feel like such a loser for not reading more - I *can* suggest The Best American Nonrequired Reading (edited by Dave Eggers w/ an intro by Matt Groening) - I'm reading that right now and it's perfect for me because it's mostly a collection of shorter pieces...so if I put it down for a month, I'm not totally lost by the time I pick it back up. That's how pathetic I am about reading these days. SIGH.

Bimbo said...

Arwen~ Thanks for the props and the link. I really do appreciate it. It warms my crooked, little heart.

Kristen~ You know I love you, too. Your comment here gives me something to think about- in fact, Antiprincess said something to the same effect to me a while ago, about leaving space in the post for the reader to participate. Blogging's really more of an interactive thing than writing an article. Maybe not covering all the bases and every conceivable angle is a better thing? It leaves room for yous guys to throw your ideas in, too.

I have to say that DiCamillo's Snow, Aldo is perhaps the greatest poem ever written. Right now I'm reading Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods about an average joe-author guy hiking the Appalachian Trail and it's really, really engaging.

Chris said...

I love the Bimbo too. Even though I'm one of those people where half of what she writes goes right over my head.

And books? What are those?

Granny said...

I don't read Dooce either. Not because I don't like her writing - I do. She's clever and funny.

I just don't have time and I prefer interactive computer friends.

Hope you're doing well.

Anonymous said...

You can't comment on Mimi Smartypants anyway. It just isn't as fun.

You know I love Palahniuk. I also read 3FW and I'm looking for "The Road". I wish you lived closer so that we could have a book club. (You know, me and you get drunk and talk about books).

Blog said...

I'm definitely going to check out some of those books.... I love the cover for The Tale of Despereaux; it always makes me look twice.... :)

Anonymous said...

I was thinking of you this weekend, as I read my Zombie Survival Guide and listened to the new Tom Waits box-set. Then you name drop the next book on my list (that would be The Road, if I ever find the time to finish The Ruins) and the book that after two chapters I put away never to pick up again (that would be Haunted). No thankee

But I'll be checking in on Go Go Bimbo...your taste is usually good. ;-)

Minnesota Nice said...

I just enjoyed "Damned If You Do" by Gordon Houghton. Not my typical type of book, but it was wonderful! He's like a very dark version of Douglas Adams.

And it's written from a zombie's point of view - how can you go wrong?

OhTheJoys said...

Did I miss this one Arwen?

You have commented...

I hope the answer to "why bother" is this: so that we can be INVOLVED in a VIRTUAL RE-LA-SHUN-SHIP. Seriously.

Arwen said...

Oh The Joys - Yes, I guess you could say that it and it would be a one sided relationship too. You (as well as other very good bloggers) give, you are insightful and hilarious, and I read and do not contribute back. But I do not contribute because I have no thought running through my head that is anything different than all the other comments.
Make sense?