When I was a child I was allowed to eat Cheerios. There was no such thing as soy milk so we went through about 2 gallons of milk a week to go with all the cheerios we ate. For my birthday I was allowed to pick out a box of sweet cereal (often honeycomb) which I usually scarfed down in one day. Then consumer reports did a review of cereals that said Lucky Chrams was the healthiest sweet cereal out there and so if I got Straight A's on a report card I could get a box of that instead of cheerios (as I remember it Count Chocula was at the bottom of the list so I started getting that for my birthday instead...I didn't even really like it, it was the principle of the situation).
I think you all see this was clearly a form of grave child abuse.
This was one of the things I said my children would never have to experience. Good cereal would not be denied. They could even have their cereal with chocolate milk if they wanted.
Fast forward to 2004 when cereal becomes a common thing in our home and Noodle likes her cereal. She is offered organic fruit juice sweetened cereal except on special occasions where she can go to Sam's club and pick out a 3 pack of sweet cereal. Although I am not as bad as my mother we still have some rules about cereal (the three of us all eat Apple Jacks and Fruit Loops with gusto...cocoa krispies seem to go stale in our home).
Fast forward to 2007 (this morning) when I get home to a house full of food but nothing we would eat for breakfast except for one box of Lucky Charms (which we still have from our vacation to Disney) and a half gallon of Organic Valley Chocolate Milk. There are no eggs, no vegetarian sausage patties (aka pattios), no bacon, no yogurt. You get the picture. So I offer Noodle a treat: Lucky Charms and chocolate milk for breakfast.
(drum roll please)
She didn't like it. She just wanted plain LC's or some yogurt.
So I finished the wet cereal (Yummy!), trying to avoid the milk since I am lactose intolerant, and got a fresh bowl of dry cereal, and maybe some strawberries (we didn't have any). We resigned ourselves to watcing some Noggin and decided to go to the supermarket today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Yay Noodle!
We weren't allowed to eat sugar cereal either growing up. AND my mom put wheat germ on ours.
Gag.
We used to put wheat germ in Noodle's yogurt when she was younger. She loves the stuff we just forgot about it. Noodle didn't actually have refined sugar antil her first birthday and then she got chocolate cake.
And then it all went down hill.
Sigh. The only cereal Bryce even eats is sugary crap - Cocoa Puffs are his favorite. The only thing in my favor here is that he eats fruit with every breakfast. That's how I justify my failure.
For some reason your latest post (I think) is showing up on Bloglines.
If that's not an old post that popped up somehow, please wish her a Happy Birthday for me.
Lucky Charms rock!!
We kids got to eat Corn Flakes or Cheerios. That was because we flat-out refused to eat Dad's Rice Chex. (On principal, we would even pick the Rice Chex out of the home-made Chex mix.)
I once gave the box of Cheerios as part of a baby shower gift to a family having a first baby. The extended families experienced some conflicts as the Mom-to-be was Christian and the Dad-to-be was Jewish. Common ground was reached when both sides commented and laughed about the bags of Cheerios in the Church / Synagogue. So, God bless Cheerios.
My kid loves Kix cereal with cinnamon & sometimes a little Splenda.
Hell, I love it too.
I think I'd have a major freak out over LC & choc. milk. A fantastic, wonderful, sugar rush of a freakout. For some reason that sounds absolutely yummo right now.
All we ever had was Grape Nuts and those enormous bricks of shredded wheat. On special occasions, Cinnamon Life. Funny but today I'd prefer any of these to a bowl of that fake-colored, over-sweetened stuff.
Post a Comment