Friday, December 15, 2006

Southern Fried Chanukah

Last year my BFF J. and I were together for Chanukah (with our families) since it was Christmas and Chanukah was at the same time and it was lovely. She said I am definitely an honorary Jew because I can whip up some mean latkes. Hubby's grandmother was with us and it was the first time she ever celebrated Chanukah (in 84 years on this earth), I wish I could remember some of the questions she asked but since she was there I started drinking as soon as I woke up. I love Hubby's grandmother, especially when I can drink a mimosa at 8 in the morning to survive her. I know she was very worried about some aspect of celebrating Chanukah (like maybe she wouldn't go to heaven) but she loves donuts and potato pancakes so she ended up having a good time in a southern catholic grandmother uncomfortable way.
Tonight, to celebrate the first night of Chanukah we are having fried chicken and donuts. It's southern Jewish (although we are not Jewish). If you think about the concept of Chanukah, the idea that the jewish people only had enough oil to burn for one night but the oil miraculously lasted 8 nights, you have to realize how beautiful that story is. It brings home the idea that at our darkest hour we can find a miracle that will light our way and help cook our food and keep us warm. In our hour of darkness, at our saddest time, when we feel all is lost, amazing things can happen, even when we feel all is lost, beauty and grace and miracles can happen.
That is why I celebrate Chanukah.


PS - How do you pronounce v'tzivanu?






7 comments:

Jen said...

Vitz-ee-vawn-oo.

I am also an honorary Jew who celebrates Hanukkah, and I can say the prayers. :D

Anonymous said...

Fried chicken and donuts sounds like a lovely way to celebrate the miracle of sufficient oil. ;-)

I love that your catholic southern grandmother-in-law actually celebrated at all...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it is like:

Vits-sea-von-oo.

And, fyi, doughnuts are actually a really traditional Chanukah food, especially amongst Sephardic Jews (and throughout Israel). They are called sufganyot (soof-gan-yote), and are essentially plain old (mmmm) jelly doughnuts fried in oil.

Unknown said...

So. I'm confused. You were celebrating because you think it's a lovely celebration or is someone in your family Jewish? I know you celebrated last year, as your post so notes but are you celebrating this year as well?
Do you celebrate Christmas as well?
I just sent an email to someone berating them for getting all uppity about businesses saying Happy Holiday's as opposed to Merry Christmas. I thought that mess ended last year. I wish people would learn to be more kind and understanding. It's only good manners to use Happy Holidays. You can't know what your customer celebrates and why would you take a chance and insult them? And no one is saying you can't wish people Merry Christmas...just businesses are trying to be more thoughtful.
Oy vey.
♥Pam

Anonymous said...

I think we all should take the time to learn a little more about all the beliefs out there. Kudos to you!

My Kids Furniture

Anonymous said...

It is a special treat being a part of families that contain different races, religions, ethnicities, cultures, et al. I'm all Aquarian la la la love, peace and happiness so December's a great excuse for me. I can be as hippy-dippy as I want and it blends in with everyone else's good vibe. Throughout the rest of the year I'm just a freak.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, donuts and friend chicken...