Monday, November 27, 2006

Virginity

I got to see an old friend of mine. We used to work together and we would go for lunch and have God talks. She went to a college that made Bob Jones University look liberal. I was raised devout Unitarian. Not a likely coupling of friends but we were good friends. She was a virgin on her wedding night. She was 25. Of course, I was a virgin on my wedding night too, sort of. Well, I felt like a virgin and I probably hummed Madonna songs. I was a virgin in a 16 weeks pregnant kind of way. Back to my friend: She quickly became pregnant and quit her job and we lost touch right around the time I had Noodle. I didn't want to, we had great talks. She is very smart and articulate. Although she is a Christian conservative and I am a liberal agnostic we connected and transcended the tags that would have normally kept us apart.
Five years pass. I was in the health food store about 2 months ago and I heard 'Arwen' and there she was. She had 3 beautiful children. We exchanged numbers and email and talked for about 45 minutes (much to her children's annoyance). I told her how Noodle and Hubby are great and we moved and we are one happy family. She told me she was separated from her husband but she felt great. We arranged a play date (because that's what mommies do!). One thing led to another and we had to keep postponing. One of her emails mentioned that her sister had sold her house and she helped her move. Except I thought her sister had a different name so I asked (via email). She told me I was a little mistaken; the woman I thought was her sister was actually her lesbian partner. I responded by asking her if James Dobson knew about this. (This was a few weeks before both Foley and Haggart). We finally got to see each other this last Wednesday and talked for about 4 hours. Hubby monitored the girls (they play well together) and we talked about everything. We discussed that she is very comfortable about her sexuality despite her upbringing. She told me her sister is afraid to leave her kids with her and how painful the ignorance around her can be (heaven forbid, she might be a pedophile). She told me about the countless letters she has received form people who 'love' her and want her to turn her back from her Godless path. She told me how there are 5 passages in the bible that reference homosexuality in some way and she actually thinks there are different translations (I will take her word on this, I don’t know the Bible the way she does). She told me how she thought she was in the minority before (being a virgin on her wedding night) but now she really was. Now she is a Christian, conservative lesbian. More than one of my friends has suggested that maybe she would have been more informed about her sexuality if she had not been a virgin on her wedding night. I don't think she is necessarily a lesbian though. I think she happens to love this one person very much and this person happens to be a woman. Even she isn't sure because she is so innocent when it comes to sexuality. This then leads me to two questions: Is the moniker ‘lesbian’ accurate in this situation? If she had been given the freedom to think about her sexuality (I am not saying act, I am saying THINK) would it have changed her path? She was told to be a good girl, she was told to wait for her husband, she was told to be a dutiful wife because that would get her closer to heaven (they married right after the Southern Baptist Convention decided women are second class citizens (again): women only understand God through fathers and husbands, can't be ministers or preachers, they should only work in the home, should stay in missionary position, etc...). She was told that by marrying a man (who ended up being as emotionally inattentive as one of her parents) that she would find happiness, if she would just find God in that union. These were lies. She found happiness with a woman. A christian, conservative woman. She is happy and her children are loved and being taken care of. Now she gets to unearth the truth of love, her love for God and her love for her partner.

12 comments:

Heather said...

To be honest, I think the world needs more Christian Conservative lesbians. I think there is an arguement about the merits/dangers on defining lesbianism solely on sexual behavior. She is in love with a woman, and I assume all the bells and whistles that go along with that. In my mind, she is a lesbian. I mean women (and men) are considered hetero even if they are virgins, arent they?
In any event, I think this lady is totally brave, good for her, and glad that you could rekindle the old friendship!

Minnesota Nice said...

Lemme take a guess. Bob Jones? Or {{shudder }}Hyles-Anderson College? Everyone I knew who went there either turned into a gay-bashing preacher or later admitted they WERE gay. There seemed to be no middle ground, that particular sect of Christians, despite all their protestations, were utterly obsessed with homosexuality.

Good for her. I really hope she has found happiness.

Anonymous said...

I followed you over from Run-Jen Run... anyway, this an interesting post. Do you think being less than strongley hetero-sexual helped her maintain her virginity until marriage?

Kara said...

love is love.

I'm happy that she's happy and that she has a friend like you to accept and support her.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Kara. Love is love. If she feels comfortable calling herself a lesbian, then to me, that's what she is. I guess that falls somewhat in the category of people born into one gender who feel they really belong to and are of another. If you feel like you're this person and you're telling me you want to be treated as this person, then out of respect for you I'm going to acknowledge that.

I'm not fluent in Biblese, but I think it's pretty safe to say that most religious texts have passages and parables that can be perceived any which way you want. I mean, it says Thou Shalt Not Kill.

Is the Pope a vegetarian?

And that's just the small potatoes.

Arwen said...

Heather - I agree about defining lesbian status based on sexuality vs. actions. I wonder if this relationship ended who she would want to date.

Eric - Welcome! There are many chistian churches in the US who freely open their doors to non-heterosexuals. She feels no distance from her god.

Sandra - bing bing bing! One of those colleges are correct.

Margaret - Welcome!We discussed her activity prior to getting married and she said she was very close with her friends but she never felt this way for any women prior to her current love. Her intense desire to be obedient to her understanding of the bible is what kept her a virgin.

Kara - Gayla taught me real good. As did being a UU in general. As did have a loving open minded mom. As did many other things.

Bimbo - I agree with Kara too.
As for the interpretation of the bible, I do not know aramaic and do not consider myself a bible scholar. I would rather read the cliff notes (ok, that's a lie, I have read the bible, I just don't know it well, although I love the passage 'vanity, vanity, all is vanity.').

Kristen said...

I'm with Kara and you and Bimbo. I think we're constantly trying to find a label when sometimes there isn't necessarily one. She loves this woman, that is what matters (clearly, that's how she feels too).

Anonymous said...

What is the point of virginity before wedding?

Why if they never going married they will never know how it feels like to sleep with someone...

Greetings from Norway

Unknown said...

Arwen...I would hazard a guess and say that there are a large number of people in the world, who, if they were entirely honest with themselves, would have to admit that they have had a crush on someone of the same sex. That crush probably had sexual overtones, if one were to examine honestly, one's thoughts and feelings.

I think there is a difference between being a lesbian and being attracted to one person. JMHO.

And as far as the bible and all things religious...I have a post that has been sitting in my draft pile for months. I am concerned about hurting people I love, who are devout Catholics and Christians. That would be my only reason for not posting it. I have no patience for religion and especially for any sect...be they Christian, Buddhist or Islamist or whathaveyou that falls into the extreme category.
Well...that is part of my post and I've said it...er, written it and I haven't gone up in flames. Wheeewww.

This was a truly well written and thought provoking post. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thank you.
♥Pam

Granny said...

I'm very late on this one - net's been down and one thing and another.

I'm glad for her that she's found someone and didn't have to live the rest of her life always knowing something was missing.

Anonymous said...

That was a very sweet post! I'm so glad your friend has found happiness and true love, as opposed to what she had with her ex husband. I'm just sorry those who "love" her (other family, friends) can't accept her for who she is. That said, my great aunt and uncle are conservative Christians, and are surrounded by gay and lesbian couples who live all around them. They are always talking with their neighbors, exchanging gifts and food with their neighbors, and I think it is great that they know now that being homosexual doesn't make you evil. I really dislike it when Christians judge others as being more sinful than themselves. Isn't God supposed to be the only judge of sin? Said as an agnostic, of course. ;)

Anonymous said...

That she has come to know herself is the path of life. She is free to change and needs no label.

Lucky to have you as a friend.