I got to work this morning full of ideas. I oculd blog about this, I could blog about that. I was all excited to write a little post during lunch when I tried to get to Bloglines. Except Bloglines had somehow become a restricted site over the weekend. I tried to go to anything with blogspot in the URL. No luck.
I tried blogs that have their own URL (thezeroboss and blogography, to be exact).
No Luck.
I am really ok with this, I like to take breaks and read blogs. I do this instead of going outside to smoke. I realize the company would rather have me working than surfing.
But then I tried to go to Live365 to listen to an internet radio while working (I definitely have an increased utilization when I am in the groove with some good music).
No Luck.
By noon I had done very little work because I was now pre-occupied with figuring out how to circumvent the firewall. Thanks to Jay I remembered Google Reader and started trying to remember all the blogs I visit. I got about 10 into the google reader and couldn't remember anymore than that. I then saw that Kristin won the blogging 4 books award this month. Her entry was really good. Go. Read. She is a great writer in general and that post was fantastic. So I emailed her to congratualte her and share with her with my depressing findings of the day:
Want to hear about a crappy morning? I get to work and they have put up firewalls so I cannot:
1. Blog (I can read blogs but I cannot post comments or post)
2. Receive any streaming media (youtube, internet radio, etc...)
3. Play games (not a big deal since I am sort of busy working)(and reading posts)
4. View porn. OK, I don't do that anyway, the puritanical upbringing showing its ugly head.
5. I am assuming: dating services. Again, happily married, not really an issue.
6. I can get to friendster but not to myspace (proof that friendster is no longer cool?).
I spent my day trying to get around firewalls. How did that increase my productivity? I finally got to my hotel room and found I had over 130 posts to catch up on since yesterday. I only subscribe to about 45 blogs and very few blog daily (or, like MrbigDubya, once in a blue moon).
Maybe they will let me work from Starbucks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
stupidcensorship.com is a site I was actually introduced to by my students. They create new circumventors all the time. Give them a try.
I can only get to a handful of blogs at work which is just as well.. but if I couldn't have streaming audio, I'd lose my shit entirely.
I am so jealous that you are able to read any blogs while at work. It's not that I can't, it's just that there was no darn time at my most recent consulting job. I start a new consulting gig tomorrow at my old employer. While I will probably have the TIME to blog, I won't be able to because my back is to the entrance of my cubicle (in the HR department) and people will constantly sneak up on me the same way they did when I last worked there. Sigh.
I can get blogs.... but nothing else.... can't check lottery tickets, can't order stuff from Victoria's Secret (not that the stuff would fit me now anyway, but...)
I can't even access hotmail/gmail...
Misfit Hausfrau.... not sure if this would solve your problem, but I usually write my blog in Word and then paste into Blogger -- that way, people have to be really close to see what I'm doing.... and the spell check is nice too :)
PS -- I really liked how you called out the Big Dubya..... that was excellent!
Thanks, Arwen! I get sent to 'those' sites whether I want to be or not. I meant Queen the epic rock group. Instead, I'm scared and alone in the depths of the Thai bar scene clicking wildly to escape. I'm not so puritanical, but yeesh...
See... this is why I don't work.
Okay not really. It's really because I can't afford daycare for two people and I am lazy.
Oh man! That is horrible. I'm really spoiled here, and I'm sure one day they'll take it all away and I'll have massive withdrawal pains.
I can't believe you can't have music, though. THAT SUCKS.
That sucketh. It goes to show that restricting someone's freedom reduces ones productivity. I don't dare blog at work...I'm so new that I get nervous reading my private e-mail (geek and a freak I know)
Bummer. Whatever happened to treating adults like adults?
Freakin' firewalls.
I like Sarah's reasons for not working. Honestly funny! And really, that's my excuse right now too. But I do want to go back. Especially after reading Kara's entry on shoes.
Mmmmm. Shoes.
P.S. I couldn't get to my own site earlier this week - just got a blank page. According to blogger's help page, it wasn't just me. Maybe, juuuust maybe, that was what you were experiencing and not a new firewall. Hopefully.
Post a Comment