Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Nice Furniture for Sale, but Not to Idiots

Selling Furniture When you don't live Near the Furniture is a Pain
Do I even need to add anything to that statement?
Oh, maybe that people can be idiots.
The ad I placed reads something like this:
bedroom suite for sale - 7 pieces - a short description here-
sold as set, must be picked up by July 6.
and then there are some pictures below that.

So I get emails asking things like 'would you be willing to sell just the vanity?'
No, it is sold as a set. What part of sold as set don't you understand?

Would you be willing to deliver?
No, must be picked up. Picked up, not delivered.

Could we see it on the 7th?
Sure, in you own home, after you picked it up on the 5th, which is before the sixth.

I have another ad about some sunroom furniture and it reads something like:
sunroom furniture, wicker in excellent conditon, pillows need to be replaced, $50
sold as set, must be picked up by July 6.
and then there are some pictures below the descirption clearly showing it is made out of wicker.

And I get questions like:
What is made from?
I am not sure, the description says wicker and the picture shows wicker, but it may just be oak.

I will give you $10. Deal?
no, asswipe, not a deal. $50 for this set is insanely cheap, even if you have to pay $100 for new pillows the same set new is $1800.

Can you add statements to ads that state things like
'There is no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid person?'
or is that too mean?

The picture on the right has only 2 of the 5 pieces in the set including a couch, side table and coffee table...any takers? It's made of wicker, the cushions need to be replaced and you have to pick it up by July 6th. We can't deliver and we can't show it after the 6th. I will even throw in that little knick knack holder behind it, if you want.

7 comments:

Kristen said...

So...would you take $7? You said you wouldn't take $10, but how about $7, and you ship it to Ukraine for me.

Granny said...

I feel your frustration.

Minnesota Nice said...

I suspect you posted your ad on Craigslist, am I right? I've sold a few things on there, and while I did eventually hear from normal people with money (and the car necessary to come pick the item up)...it was a struggle.

Susan said...

*snort* that's really funny.

Would you deliver that furniture to Oklahoma? And what's it made out of, anyway?

Can I come see it on the 9th?

Thanks!

Kara said...

YES! The woman from the Sudanese Education Fund (http://www.sudaneseeducationfund.org/)wants to see the furniture.... On the 7th- just kidding. She does... can I give her your #?
The SEF provides scholarships and relocation support to Sudanese refugees, including mnay of the "Lost boys of Sudan". Your mom would approve.

Anonymous said...

If you just put it in the driveway with a sign out while you are there, it will sell, quickly. Someone in the neighborhood will buy it, it is nice stuff. If I had room, I would make you bring it South. Oh, oh yeah, no delivery!!!!!!!
Calm, very calm, think calm thoughts. Like, no work until all this is behind me.
I still think you look like you have lost weight!!
Hugs, KUB

Anonymous said...

You should put.

As is. No questions.

and if you have a question, unless it's WILL you take $2500 for the whole lot, chances are the answer is NO.

:)