Monday, January 30, 2006

Not a SAHM, but playing one on TV

This week I get to 'work' from home. My next project in Norfolk hasn't started and so I get to decompress from my home office. I have 5 tidying projects (should take 1-2 hours each) and I am going to paint the living room. Noodle goes to pre-school and I can't just pull her from school, it messes up her schedule too much and havoc ensues when I go back to work so I have to wait until at least 3 everyday to go get her. So I get up with hubby and Noodle, help her get out the door to school and then do stuff. This morning I am reconciling the expenses of my last project and reading blogs. This afternoon I am sanding the walls of the living room and reading blogs. Tonight I am making grouper tempura and seaweed salad for dinner. The four year old loves seaweed salad and all things sushi so I am going to try it out.
I am also walking to the local Staples and geting hanging file folders to organize our finances. My new year's resolution was to understand our finances so I bought the book
Smart Women Finish Rich. I figure I am smart so I should be able to do this. So far I am on step 4 so I have to organize before I can proceed. So far it is all common sense so I am not sure why I haven't done it before...maybe a lack of common sense??? What Mr Bach has repeatedly said is that it isn't how much you make but how much you save. If you cut out that $4 double mochachino from Fourbucks then you can save $1460 a year. So then I have to decide which $4 items I want to get rid off. I can't get rid of the $4 a pint respberries, they are chock full of anti-oxidants and it is one thing I know noodle will chow down on. We mostly eat at home for dinner and I eat out sometimes for lunch, maybe I could eat out less. I could cancel my membership to the Y but that works against the second new year's resolution to be able to wear my clothes again. Hmmm, decisions, decisions. This weekend Noodle and I went to the Western North Carolina Nature Center. We love this place. Here we are with the goats: She took one picture and I took the other. That is the deal we have, I take one, she takes one. The goat, Shanel (pronounced like the perfume) tried to climb on my head and shoulders. If I could quit my job and do anything, it would be owning my own fuzzy animal farm: nigerian dwarf goats, llamas, galloway cows, chinchillas, bernese mountain dogs and newfoundlands. Also, I would have cow cats and Main Coon cats. The cow cats would match the galloways so there would be a cohesion throughout the farm. I pretty much like all things cute and fuzzy and I am open to suggestions for other cute and fuzzy animals. I am not sure what I would actually do with these and I grew up in Braintree, MA, not a hot bed for 4-H or anything so I don't know how to actually care for any of these animals, except the dogs and cats who are easy. Really it is a pipe dream. I would have a big farm house and a greenhouse too. I think it would be fun. It is a far cry from implementing ERP software.
Speaking of which, time to get back to expense reconciliation...

2 comments:

Kara said...

i have decided i will only own cow cats from now on. harry, the newest addition to our cow cat collection kicks arse.
have fun with your projects. i will pick up that book. being organized/ out of debt is going to be my new hobby. that's why i'm trying to lose some pounds to not have to buy more new clothes. xoxo

Susan said...

Let's see, how many $4.00 a pop things would you need to give up to get the goats? Hmmmm . . .

I'm not giving up my Starbucks--I only drink the drip coffee, so it seems cheap. I am, however, giving up wine, as it is a drain on the grocery budget, it leaves me dehydrated (and sometimes drunk!) and I have a sneaking suspicion that it's to blame for the size of my ass.

Love the pictures of you and Noodle!