Thursday, February 02, 2006

Where is my mother when I need her????

A few nights ago I looked at Hubby very seriously and asked: Do you think my mom would respond to us if we asked her questions on a Ouija board? Maybe we should to try to summon her? Ok, I am going to think really hard about her and hopefully she will answer my questions in my dreams.
The only dream I had was that one of my crazier cousins had an all girls' school that was located at Disney. Not what I was hoping for at all.
I need my mom to help pick the perfect school for our 4 year old. This was her thing, education, and I am not sure which school to pick. We have a
magnet school program where you choose what school you want your schild to get into and hope and pray they are accepted. Each school has a different theme, arts & humanities, ecology and human diversity, science, core knowledge or 'open'. So my husband and I have been visiting schools, asking probing questions, review curriculum, and scratching our heads wondering which school is the perfect kindergarten that will get our dear sweet Noodle into MIT (or Brown or something). Asheville also has charter schools and private schools but we believe our public school system is pretty good. And although my dear friends north and west of the Mason Dixon line are sure that North Carolina has horrible public schools, I will disagree in regards to our fair hamlet. In the city I live we have a great superintendent of schools and public school program. Every school has cool things going on and interesting teachers and can deal with all sorts of kids. So good we can't figure out where to send our dear sweet daughter and I really want my mom to help me out here...
but she is dead which makes it hard to communicate with her...
and she doesn't really make guest appearances as a ghost (although I do think she had and ethereal effect on the Red Sox winning the world series and all the school board in Dover, PA being voted out). Those are two subjects she would have effected from the grave if she could. The second because she was an educator and smaht...she had degrees (plural) from Hahvahd. She would be able to tell me where the Noodle should be placed for school. I decided go through a little 'WWMD' role playing, you know, what would mom do? Mom sent us to public school and chose a town with a good public school education. Before Noodle started pre-school and mom was still alive she mentioned that she thught Montessori wouldn't be the best placement for the baby, so we decided on our local Jewish Community Center (I love her pre-school, I wish it went to 8th grade). So I called the Buffalo and emailed her all the data I had and she said she would talk with me about it but I had to talk with her about extra-sensory coital devices while she was waiting for baby buffalo at gymnastics (BTW - I totally understand retracting that post although the conversation was really funny). She is also an educator and knows Noodle and knows me really well, and since my mom wasn't going to give me any inciteful knowledge I figure I should ask the next really smaht educator I know. She was impressed with the stuff I sent (which is a relief since she is in the know about education) and helped a little further on the path to getting to pick the school. Now we are taking her advice and going back to the schools when it isn't open house.
Why is this so hard? Oh, I know, because my child is the most important thing in my life and I want her to only have the best and I want her to LOVE school and I want to love her school and she has already had such a good pre-school that it needs to be as good or better from here on out and this is really the first major thing we have had to decide outside our home. Inside home decisions (no spanking, limit TV and coffee until she is six, etc...) have been sort of easy but she is going to be out in the big huge world without us, learning stuff. And we all know, the wrong choice of kindergarten could probably decide whether she gets into MIT or not.

2 comments:

Kara said...

oh, i'm on the edge of my seat! please let me know what you decide!

Susan said...

Henry is on his second preschool in two years; he will go to a THIRD school next year (which will hopefully be the LAST, for a while). Charlie will go to an entirely different preschool next year (not either of the ones H has gone to). And hopefully he will stay there.

I am torn between feeling like, eh, it's just preschool for god's sake and waking up at night in a cold sweat thinking OH MY GOD THE BOYS WILL BE LIVING WITH US FOREVER IF WE DO THIS WRONG.

So I feel for you. And I think, in the end, you trust your instinct. Which may be your mother's voice after all.