Sharing Data with Third Parties 'New Website' shares aggregate information with third parties for advertising and promotional purposes. 'New Website' may also share personal information with consultants and affiliates for internal business purposes and may divulge personal information if such information is subpoenaed, or if 'New Website' believes that membership has been used to commit unlawful acts, or acts that may endanger the health or safety of another user or of the general public.
Use of Cookies 'New Website' uses 'cookies' to record information. A cookie is a small data file that Web sites store on your hard drive when you visit them. Cookies allow us to measure activity on our sites and to improve your user experience by remembering your passwords and viewing preferences, and allowing you to visit various members-only parts of our sites without re-registering. Cookies allow us to determine which areas and features of our sites are most popular by measuring user activity. This information allows us to make improvements and updates to improve your 'New Website' experience. 'New Website' does not use cookies to retrieve any information from your computer. Most browsers are set to accept cookies. If you prefer, you may set your browser to refuse cookies or to alert you when cookies are being sent. However, some parts of our site, such as the members-only areas may not function properly if you choose not to accept cookies.
I might be getting paranoid as I get older but what I read is:
1. They are taking your personal information and 'sharing' (aka selling) to third parties and consultants
2. They share (aka sell) aggregate data but also individual data. Aggregate I wouldn't really be bothered with but individual is pretty annoying.
3. They are installing cookies on your computer to track what websites you visit even though those sites have nothing to do with them (at least the cookie doesn't take information from your computer)
4. You don't have to keep the cookie on your machine BUT the website won't work properly anymore.
5. Finally, I tried to snoop around a little and saw very little information about the who put the website together. There is one person named and very little history around the site. I stopped reading Babble because I just am not cool enough to hang out with those guys but look at their 'about page'. There are pictures, there are real people, I could probably get their phone numbers and call them. Look at the new company's 'about page'. Shockingly different, no? In the about page they even discuss they deliver a 'highly targeted audience.'
Do others feel this is a thinly veiled advertisers wet dream or am I just being paranoid again?
Be Afraid. Be very afraid.
2 comments:
interesting- I , too was asked but I couldn't figure it out.
I joined, but frankly don't see what the hell the site is for. There is nothing of interest there. I'd rather go to MySpace, and I hate MySpace.
Post a Comment