I am on vacation this week. The project has a scheduled vacation so I am on vacation this week. As you could tell from the last post I was ready for break. Noodle doesn't have vacation until tomorrow so I could hang out, sleep late, drink coffee, go running for two days but I really want to hang out with the kid. So yesteday when we woke up and saw that there was snow on top of the garage I decided to keep her home. Two counties had called off school, two counties that acutally border ours. I was sure they were going to call off school.
And the drivers here are terrible. Asheville has a high percentage of transplants. Hubby is from the triad, I am from Boston. I do know people who are from here but only a couple. Most people seem to be from the Northeast, the Northwest or Florida. The drivers from the Northwest seem to be fine. The drivers from the Northeast (myself included) are a bit agro but know how to drive in snow and ice. The drivers from Florida suck ass. I think they moved from New York City, where you don't need a license because mass transit is so good, to Florida, where they learned to drive as adults and everyone drives like they are blind eighty year olds. They then move to Asheville (because they miss the seasons) where there is snow. So now they are driving like blind eighty year olds in snow and ice. I know how to drive in snow but try to avoid it because it is dangerous. People here don't get it. They don't slow down because they think their SUV is going to save them. All it will do is help them out of the ditch they slide into when they were speeding. I feel completely secure in my decision to keep Noodle home from school because of the bad drivers of Asheville.
Except, it didn't snow. It got all sunny, cold, but sunny. So we went to the Y and went to Mamacita's for lunch and to the book store for some new books and saw what Hubby was working on and then went back to the Y so Noodle could try karate again (she loved it!) and then came home and got ready for bed and collapsed. We had a great day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Sometimes kids need a break from school too. Sounds like you both had a good day.
And speaking of bad drivers, you should see what it's like in Phoenix when it rains. It's so rare that it can be scary as hell. I've kept my kid home during a summer storm before. More worried about other drivers than anything else.
Dear World,
Get ready cuz this is big.
Ice: is slippery. You can have four wheels or four thousand wheels. If it is ice, it is still slippery. It will always be slippery because it is ice.
Ok. I'm done.
Hey - ice, drivers, just for the hell of it: it's all a great reason to stay home with the kid after weeks of travel...
We don't get snow (or hardly ever) but the drivers go totally nuts in the rain and the fog.
Arkansas was worse. Snow absolutely dumfounded them and I used to joke that the only snowplow in the state was at the Little Rock airport.
(Maybe it wasn't a joke?)
"They don't slow down because they think their SUV is going to save them."
Yeah, you hit the nail on the head there.
Post a Comment