Sunday, October 01, 2006

The Tragedy of the Commons

Updated again - see bottom...

Author's note: This may get long and it is serious so if you don't want to deal with that here is the jist of the post: if you are mean, go away and stay away because you probably aren't welcome here.

These days I have been thinking a lot about blogging and the code of conduct around blogging. The blog world, to me at least, is a world that is based on the a premise of a common space where people post about anything they want. It isn't a physical location, it is a virtual location. There are resources we share and places we visit. The resources are the obvious: A database that stores our blogs, the ability to have word verification on some blogs, that ability to remain anonymous or use your own blog name when leaving comments, etc.... Then there are less tangible resources: syntax, common courtesy, grammar. In many ways we police ourselves. I personally don't visit many overtly religious blogs, I don't visit many conservative blogs, I don't visit many republican blogs. The blogs that I read that fall into one of these categories are well written, they inspire thought and when I comment I am respectful of the administrator of the blog. Why do I do this? Because I would hope that when they visit my blog they treat my blog the same way. I mostly go to blogs that I can relate to.
I am not a stay at home mom.
I am not a dad.
I am not single.
I am not a great grandmother.
I am not going through a divorce.
I am not the mother of boys or twins.
I am not religious (actually, I am a devout Unitarian Universalist with strong atheist leanings but I was raised that way and never grew out of it because it works for me).
What I like about these blogs is that they touch me, I appreciate them and their stories. Sometimes I don't agree with them or their work habits or their parenting or their religious beliefs or their politics but I respond in a constructive way. Or I offer my view and why I feel that way.
Or I.JUST.KEEP.MY.MOUTH.SHUT.
I do this because I feel there is a limited resource of the blogger commons and that resource is manners. Blog trolls do not understand manners. Or they understand them and choose to ignore them. I believe that is the definition of a sociopath. I don't think I am a sociopath and I don't want to be perceived as a sociopath so I am polite (or sarcastic as all get out but not rude).

Recently I had to delete a comment because the commenter was remarkably rude. I started blogging in January and this was the first time I had to do this. I commented what I did and why. This person emailed me a treatise on why I am evil (I am paraphrasing). She wanted me to post her email about why I am evil. I sent her a one line response that politely declined the honor. She then posted it on her blog, which is where it belonged. Two people have commented on her post since then and she responded with a 500 word response to one comment and a 1400 word response to the other comment. She then started going through my past posts and started commenting on those. I did what a sane person would do at this point: I ignored her. There are people who are not reasonable, and she seemed like one of these people. So I talked with a few people I respect a lot and they agreed. Ignore her. Best course of action. This is really hard for me because I was raised Unitarian and I was taught to look for common ground, find the kinship and build bridges. I was also raised by an amazing pragmatist, she taught me to keep poisonous people away from you. Ignoring the troll would be the only way to do this. I found no serenity in the situation but I knew I had to do this because it truly was the best course of action.
One commenter (who happens to be one of my best friends ever) noticed that the troll was going through my old posts and left a comment in the same ilk as my troll's comments (although not as long winded). The troll didn't like this and the troll went to her blog and left a really ugly comment thinking she, the troll, was anonymous. Except this troll doesn't understand some things about the internet because she hasn't been doing this very long:
1. IP addresses are public data.
2. There is technology that allows to see where people are coming from. It is legal. It is free.

I knew my troll was visiting my site multiple times a day because I tracked her comment against her IP address. Then I just tracked her IP address. Totally legal. I can even publish this IP address because it is public. So when she commented on my friend's site we knew immediately that the comment was left from the same exact IP address as my troll. I was now sharing a troll.
Needless to say things disintegrated from this point. And now one of my favorite blogs, one of my favorite bloggers, one of my best friends in the world, has dismantled her blog. Because one person is poisonous, the troll's self righteous behavior is hateful and petty. She may have had made good points at some point but they were completely lost by her scurrilous commenting. A beautiful common area has been destroyed by a selfish person.
The tragedy of the commons in a modern day environment comes to fruition.

This whole situation has left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I want to feel like I can welcome many different people with different beliefs and backgrounds. Hell, my family reads this blog and they are all republican and we love eachother and respect our differences. Some of my friends are devoutly religious - one is an Episcopal priest - and they read this blog. I am even friends with Yankees fans. But if you can't be polite, if you can't give constructive criticism, if you can't add your opinion in a respectful way then GO AWAY!
I am not kidding. You are not welcome. Divisive I can dig, ugly verbage I cannot abide with.
Moreover, why bother coming here if you are going to get into such a lather that you have to be ugly? Just go away. If you really feel you cannot express yourself constructively but you absolutely feel you must say something then please know I will dump your comments.

Say what you mean.
Mean what you say.
Don't say it mean.

Update - Everyone, thank you for the comments. All are apprciated. The post denegrating me that I mention in this post has been removed, I assume by the person who posted it. I am not sure what the reason was but I am appreciative that it was removed. All I really wanted was my name removed, the rest was her opinion to post as she saw fit. But I will take it.
I hope I can put this behind me and that Kara starts posting again. And, I have found about ten new blogs that I am reading and enjoying from all this (some are even conservative! Shocking, I know!).

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I hope it never happens again.

Kara said...

Love you, girl

Mrs Big Dubya said...

Hi there --

We share a friend....

We share the disappointment that this friend feels compelled to dismantle her very entertaining blog.

I know she's a tree-hugging-communist -- and I'm a gas-guzzling-conservative, but I love the contrast and the fact that she makes me think and appreciate the "other side" in a respectful & humor-filled way. Sometimes I don't like what she writes.... so I stop reading and wait for the next post.... it's really not that hard!

I remember when blogging was fun....

Now, we have to watch every word to ensure nothing can be misconstrued or exploited

I, like you, almost suggested our friend email the troll and just agree to disagree.... to both remove all offensive posts/comments and just move on.....

But, it seems like this nonsense has gone too far for that to be effective -- and that makes me sad.

Can't we all just get along?

Anonymous said...

I am so sad about the way she has effected (affected? I can never get those two straight) you two.

It isn't fair that some jerk gets to ruin it for the rest of us.

Dave2 said...

As you can imagine, I get crackpot comments and lovely hatemail all the time because of my blog. It's rather strange, and bothered me at first... but now I just don't care.

I had a great one just recently. Some anonymous commenter had left a scathing comment on an old entry that didn't make any sense. So I looked up the IP address in my logs, tracked down how they had gotten to me and what they did, then tracked that back to their MySpace page. From there I bounced to one of their "MySpace friends" and discovered the reason they were so upset... they tried to hotlink to a graphic on my site and got my nasty hotlink image instead.

You can't really do anything but laugh in this case. I mean, the guy tried to steal my graphic and my bandwidth, but it went wrong so he decided to get mad at the person he was trying to steal from?? Classic!

Andie D. said...

Well said Arwen!

Didn't we all start this blogging stuff to meet new people, learn a little, perhaps expand horizons, read, write, have some damn fun?

I don't always agree with what I read. But I do always try to respect the author. In a case where I simply cannot (ahem, troll), I JUST DON'T FREAKIN' COMMENT.

Although at this point I have to say I'm tempted to comment because I'm pissed that a troll caused a favorite blogger of mine to put her stuff on hold. But I won't. Because I'm better than that.

Pinterest Failures said...

Well put. It seems like these trolls come around every so often to wreak havoc for the sake of being righteous. I just don't understand the pleasure of satisfaction they receive by being hurtful to others through the written word. I would love to know how these individuals express themselves in the "real" world.

Andie D. said...

I'm laughing at myself right now because of my last sentence! I'm so not better than that.

But I make an effort. Maybe that's the difference.

Anonymous said...

Arwen, that was such a terrible story. I'm so sorry that happened. I've only been blogging a short time, so I've been fortunate not to run into a troll...yet. It's funny how the troll uses free-speech to justify what they say/write, but in doing so, condemns others for using their right to the same. Your troll must be a very lonely, miserable person...

Arwen said...

crankmama: welcome to the blog, sorry you hit it on a depressing day.
kara: you the bomb!

Mrs Big W: I agree - our friend is the bomb! Thanks for agreeing, I know we agree to disagree on many things and I am glad we agree on this.

Sarah: I think it is affected but I think she will only ruin it if we let her. I hope this philosophy is true. I hope.

Dave: Can you imagine that this all started from the bakery incident post? Crazy. I am sure in time these freaks will not bug me but since I just lost my troll virginity it still hurts.

Andie - You crack me up. It has been very hard not to get very ugly. In all things we can practice the actions that make us feel better, call it dharma or serenity or whatever. But sometimes....I just want to be a bitch.

Misfit: I wonder if there are trolls in Bermuda. I bet there aren't.

Arwen said...

Mel-J: I think our troll is acutally lonely and has some problems interacting in a wholesome way. I think we felt that in the last two weeks. If she were our mom or our sister we would consider family counseling but she isn't so we don't have to do that. We can just say 'Go Away!'

Minnesota Nice said...

Ohhh, dear I don't think anyone should let one loon make them stop blogging...the world is full of loons, and we DO have a delete button if we choose to exercise it. I hope whoever it is will reconsider, because Assclown 35 just isn't worth acknowledging, really.

Minnesota Nice said...

Oops I mean Assclown 37...but Arwen, forgive me for being so slow on the uptake, I just now realized that she posted your full name on her blog, surely that can be reported as a violation? What if we all go to her blog and flag it? That's a violation of your privacy and a safety issue as well, I would think.

Jenn said...

Well said, Arwen. Well said.

Arwen said...

Sandra, I didn't even notice that. I have flagged the blog as objectionable, the more people who do that rises the awareness to the folks at blogger. Other poeple who read this blog could also flag the blog as objectionable too, if they felt it was approporate.
I have also contacted blogger to see what recourse I can follow to have my name removed. What is funny is that I have not mentioned this woman, not even her blogger log in throughout my posts and she did this long before anyone else had any issues with her (except you, of course, she started with you).

Anonymous said...

I had only recently just discovered Kara's blog and through it your blog, and I must say, I will miss her and I am glad I found yours.

Chris said...

It's really too bad that she attacked both you and Kara. I agree with your points on bloggers being civil to one another. It's kind of like an open mic night: if you don't like the act, don't boo, just wait for the next person to step up to the mic.

And I'm glad you can admit that Yankees fans are people too!

Kristen said...

SIGH. Sad.

And what everyone else has said - i.e., if you don't like what you read, MOVE ON. Who has time for stalking a blogger?

Anonymous said...

small-minded fucking people piss me off.

This too shall pass, though. I just hope it doesn't leave any lasting damage.

And as I mentioned to Kara, the scurrilous creature (love that you used that word) ain't far from me...I can TP her house if you want me too

Minnesota Nice said...

I flagged her as objectionable too. It was a pleasure.

Granny said...

I have no clue who she is or I'd chime in with the "objectionable".

Trolls are a waste of space and time. I'm sorry your friend took down her blog. It's her choice and maybe I'm too damn stubborn but I'd hate to see a troll win by default.

Then again, what do I know? I've had some trolls but they've gone away after a while. One drifted from one blog to another - each time we swarmed him (or them). He didn't want to tackle 6 or 7 angry female political bloggers.

Anonymous said...

I feel really lucky not to have run up on any bad trolls thus far, even though I have a tendency to talk nasty about people. I'm sorry it happened to you, though the best defense is to laugh at grammatical error.

Found you through BlogAsheville!

Jill said...

Wow. I've never been attacked by a troll and hope I never am. The fact that she was so single-minded about it is pretty creepy. Fascinating story.

Unknown said...

Arwen...I love how you found sympathy for her. She is not a well person. And she has another blog....of that I am certain. Because someone showed up around the same time she did and it just 'felt' like it was her. And I think you have handled this with grace, compassion, fortitude and civility. All wonderful and powerful things. I will go to her blog and flag it.

How did the pie turn out? Did I miss a post?

I have been a wild person and am now just getting back to my reads. Sheesh...8 days in Montana and 5 days in Vegas and I lose total control of my blogging!! ;0]

♥Pam