Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Nausea (or, day 4 of Kindergaten)

First, I would like to say that running helps nausea caused by anxiety. I may get to 13 miles a run just thinking about Noodle in kindergarten...this week. Let me back up a little:
Friday afternoon Noodle was supposed to get on the bus to the JCC. The JCC bus had picked her Wednesday, she didn't go to school Thursday and it was supposed to pick her up Friday too. When I got to the J at 3:15 the director pulled my aside and told me that they had to go looking for Noodle because she wasn't in the alternative transportation pick up area. They waited and waited and then went looking for her. She was in the parent pick up area (which is on the other side of the parking lot). Noodle was hysterical and very happy to see the director (who is one of her best friend's mom) and calmed down pretty quickly. Then Noodle told her my version of the story. She told them she was in the wrong place, she was the last kid at the pick up area and she was very upset about this. And she asked if she could have a cookie. Honestly, these things happen, and it wasn't like they were letting her play in traffic or with pedophiles or anything.
Fast forward to Monday. Yesterday I dropped her off and wanted to talk with the teacher about what happened Friday. She didn't know anything about it.
Group participation time. Here is a little quiz: When I explained the JCC director had to go looking for her the teacher said:
1. I (the teacher) don't go out and wait with the alternative bussing kids so I don't know what goes on out there.
2. Noodle should stay in the correct alternative bus line so they can find her.
3. She must have been processed incorrectly at the end of the day, she must have been really upset, I am so sorry, we will be more careful.
4. We didn't think the JCC bus was running so we put her in the parent pick up group. We don't know the schedule of the alternative transportation busses.

Trick question: the only one she DIDN'T say was #3 which was the only one I wanted to hear.
So Ms. Denial may be an appropriate name for her.
1. Shows she doesn't know what is going on with her 5 years olds.
2. Casts blame on the 5 year old child (WTF?)
3. the right answer
4. WTF?????????

Yesterday went without a hitch but here is the second thing. I have had to pull her off my leg two days in a row. She is visibly upset when I leave and it makes me feel sick but this pisses me off more: there are 3 adults in the room, a volunteer, a student teacher and the head teacher and noone goes to reassure her. There are only 12 kids in the class and noone comforts her. I want to leave but I wonder how can her day go well when she starts ALONE with 3 adults there to comfort her and noone does. She is a cute little kid, she's not a leper and she is polite with the teachers. Are they afraid of her? Do they not hear the crying and gnashing of teeth of my child? Do they just not care? I don't get it but I am ready to quit my job and homeschool her.

Update (7:47 pm EST) - After school she was not where she was supposed to be today. Again. The counselor who rides the bus had to go find her. Fortunately her afterschool program knows about the issue and didn't wait for hysterics for something horrible to happen. AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh geez. First of all, I just got a flashback to the lifeguard at the Y telling me that Quinn didn't obey her and that's why he almost drowned. WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU JUST SAY TO ME?!

Also, I am upset that no one is right there to deal with and help Noodle at drop off times. That doesn't sound right at all - and it makes me wonder how the whole rest of the day goes.

Granny said...

Our teachers walk with their bus kids at least at the beginning of the year and wait for the bus with them. They also have a list of who goes where (this is the younger grades of course)

Kindergarten kids - always.

Kristen - your story still give me the chills.

Heather said...

This bus system is far too complicated for ME...how would a 5 yr old be able to negotiate this? This must be so distressing all along...
Harry is starting to cry every time he thinks about going to school. I think I will have a leg hugger next week.