Sunday, July 30, 2006

And Then we Got Hit By a Car

We are back from 'vacation'. We have been home for a few days but needed to unpack, drink heavily , do laundry, party at Bele Cher (I didn't, Hubby did...I was being a bit of an agorophobe this weekend) and swim to avoid the heat.
Before I continue with the vacation debrief:
Did anyone see this news? This is one of my top 5 anxiety issues (as represented from my dreams). When I have nightmares they have to do with:
1. Zombies -Zombies come from two places: 28 Days Later and the idea that zombies lose rational thought and I never want to do that. That movie creeped me out! Not being able to think for myself FREAKS me out! Now having that as an anxiety isn't that weird anymore, right?
2. Pedophiles near my daughter - this is pretty straight forward, anyone not worried about that when they have a small child, in my opinion, needs to worry about it a little more.
3. Someone opening fire at the JCC here in Asheville - In my mind this is a totally rational fear. I have lost people I loved because of gun violence. This is, unfortunately, a realized fear. Don't talk with me about guns. I can have rational conversations about many things BUT not guns. Add to that idiots like Mel espousing anti-semitic BS and there is a dangerous situation that could play out. People who feel Passion was one of the most moving movies ever hear the creator of that movie saying that jewish people are evil and I worry about my child and people I love who frequent JCC's throughout the country. Here in the heart of the bible belt I think I really have to worry. I live about 9 miles from Billy Graham's training facility. Eric Rudolph stayed hidden in the mountains of Western North Carolina. We have some whack jobs around (not that Billy Graham is a whack job).
4. Me forgetting to do stuff for and at work - I liken this to showing up for school naked. It is what it is.
5. Anything to do with highschool - Number 5 is like number 4.

Back to the vacation. NYC is Fun and exciting. Plainview isn't as exciting. We did go to a children's museum which was really pretty cool (and close to where an ex-boyfriend was incarcreated while on Dead tour...do I have to say why?). I also went to 3 different supermarkets, the best being, hands down, Fairway. I went there twice it was so impressive. That tells you a lot about me and the supermarket (I am a supermarket dweeb and it was a cool market).

I did get to spend quality time with the excellent friend. This was very very good.

On our 15 hour drive up the fan didn't work correctly so the car stayed warmish the whole time. On the way home, 5 minutes on the road, we were hit by a car. We have a 97 Volvo station wagon (named Thor) and it was the first (and hopefully last) accident it will ever be in. Noodle was freaked, Hubby was at wit's end. The delay of the accident caused us to hit NYC rush hour traffic (the George Washington bridge at 5 pm sucks ass...and then after it was Newark at rush hour...BLECH!). We also hit some horrible rain on the way up and back so we decided to stay in Harrisburg, PA instead of pushing through the night.
It was heaven.
I am not kidding. We stayed at the Harrisburg Hilton and ate sushi and walked on the foot bridge and it was really nice. The internet worked great in the room (unlike at the Homewood Suites in Plainview) and we all slept well. We even got an upgrade to a junior suite. I rode in the elevator with one of the guys from the Goo Goo Dolls (the one with the dreads), not once but twice...he sort of smelled. I can't actually tell you any of their songs, only that one of the guys is kind of smelly and has a well worn Disney t-shirt.
If you are going to the northeast from the southeast and you are taking I-81, stop in Harrisburg, it is a good halfway part. You probably won't get to ride an elevator with the guy from the Goo Goo Dolls but the rest will make up for it, I promise.
Next day I drove most of the way and when we got home I got to look sweetly at Hubby and say 'We're home, you can be nice to me again.' Yeah, it was like that. And the fan didn't work very well on the way home. again. Go figure.
So that was the vacation. I would like to at least leave you with a cute picture of the girls but I forgot my camera because I am a loser.

5 comments:

Granny said...

Sorry about the accident but it you're going to get hit, be glad you're in a Volvo I still miss mine.

I share most of your anxieties although you express them much better. I just know I'm anxious much of the time.

Kristen said...

OH geez, I can't believe you had an accident on vacation!! Sounds like an event-filled trip. You are a celebrity magnet, running into them all the time, even while vacationing! Bet you're glad to be home...

Kara said...

we're home. you can be nice to me again...

Not laughing. Okay I am a little only because I know and adore the T-man. Heh heh.

Glad you're okay. xoxox

P.S. We may see you guys sooner than we had expected. Call me

Anonymous said...

a) I've never known anyone who recommended Harrisburg, including people who lived there.
b) GW Bridge often sucks. Rush hour is the worst.
c) Heh. Plainview. It's right there.
d) car accident! Totally scary, but glad you guys are OK
e) The only band I would pay $500 to see is the Rolling Stones--in 1972.
f) 15 hours in a car? I hope you really liked your friends.
g) Fairway was the highlight? We need to talk. Although that is one hell of a shopping experience.
h) Glad you're home safe

Pinterest Failures said...

Wow--your trip certainly wasn't boring. Glad you didn't get hurt!