you have been warned...
Last week it was discovered that the illness plaguing me was strep. I called my cousin who I stayed with to inform her that any illness her daughters may be plagued with was my fault. She was packing for Bonaroo,
On Sunday I pulled some frozen lemonade out of the freezer. Noodle and I had squeezed the lemons ourselves to try out my new attachment for the kitchenaid, a citrus juicer, and we had a blast and made too much and had to freeze some. Sunday seemed like the perfect day for more lemonade so I pulled it out. Then I thought it would be nice to add strawberries to the lemonade so I took the strawberries I had cleaned and popped in the freezer a month ago and I saw a bag of raspberries we had too so I pulled those and made homeade berry lemon slushies. And they were great, Except Noodle didn't like them.
BUT
if you add some tequila and triple sec to the lemon berry slushy you have kick ass margaritas. Think about the benefits of these lovely drinks:
1. Berries have anti-oxidants and help keep cognitive skills tip top.
2. Lemons have vitamin C, a necessary nutrient when recovering from strep (and it keeps you from getting scurvy).
3. According to here we can lower our cholesterol by drinking tequila.
The recipe:
1 qt homemade lemonade - frozen and then partially defrosted
1 cup homegrown strawberries, cleaned (can be frozen or fresh, if they are frozen then let them partially defrost)
1 cup homegrown raspberries (can be frozen or fresh, if they are frozen then let them partially defrost)
Put everything in a food processor and blend until slushy. The tequila will melt it very quickly so it can be pretty thick.
Siphon off a half for the kiddies, no need to have DSS come knocking because you got your kids drunk.
In a low ball glass ladle some of the mix.
Add a shot of tequila (we like Horny Toads in our house but it could be cheaper since it is in a mix).
Add a shot of triple sec or cointreau.
Mix.
Drink repsonsibly*.
Once made the only thing left to do is sit by the pool and relax OR read a good book. Then you will feel better phyically (and mentally). I am feeling much better today than I have for weeks and I am sure that it was these margaritas and NOT the penicillin I have been on since Wednesday.
*Next time I make this it will probably be made like this:
a can of minutemaid lemonade
a can of frozen berry juice
some ice
tequila
triple sec
4 comments:
You're my new hero. Those margaritas sound awesome, and made with homegrown berries?! Drooling...
4th of July weekend... we will make slushies. yummmmm....
Glad to hear you're feeling better. Tequila usually has the opposite effect on me.
I appreciate that you gave us BOTH the Martha Stewart version AND the hey-its-4:30-let's-have-a-drink! version.
Guess which one I will be making . . .
Post a Comment