Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Slobbering Pre-school Disease

Having recovered from the dog bite, Noodle has moved on to what appears to be Mononucleosis. I was sure we wouldn't have to worry about this until she was 14. Unfortuantely, I was wrong. One of her classmates has been confirmed with the disease and now our poor sweet child has the symptoms as well:
She sleeps and sleeps and sleeps (and continues to want to sleep or watch TV or read but not play or at least not for long)
She has a low grade fever
She has no appetite
As a side note, her cat is loving it, they have been cuddling like kittens for days. I am not sure the cat has forgiven me about the bath yet but he smells so much better now.

When I had mono I was 5'4" inches tall and by the end I weighed 88 pounds. I started at a healthy weight and ended at a really gross skinny weight. This was before
Ensure existed. Sounds like this is hitting both coasts (or my daughter and Wiffleboy's daughter have been swapping spit somewhere in the midwest without our knowing about it, I sort of doubt it). I think about how I watched 16 candles 17 times because I couldn't click the clicker to change the channel. I heard Aha, Take on Me (how's that for an earworm) over and over again on the local Boston video channel, V-66 (back before MTV stomped out the competition). I also saw Something Wicked This Way Comes and over and over again. I love Jason Robards, he was my mono-father. Good times, Good times. Actually they were really sucky times but V-66 was cool.
I was thinking about doing something to cheer up the baby monster since I am intensely guilt ridden at times like this. I am on the road, she is sick, I want to just cuddle her and let her know how much I love her. I, of course, think about buying her something to assuage my guilt. So I went to the Edible Arrangements website, we have one in Asheville now and they make pretty arrangements like this:

It's gorgeous, isn't it and looks so nutritious with a price tag of almost $70. I am not kidding. I love my daughter but there is no guarantee she will even eat it so she doesn't get it. Then I thought of a cookie bouquet, cookies always make me feel better but she is sick, I shouldn't do that until she is at least 5 and can self-regulate eating a bouquet of iced sugar cookies. That happens at five, right? The ability to self-regulate eating sweets? I am 34 and it hasn't happened yet but I thought I was the exception, not the norm. I will bring her little boxes of Lucky Charms from the hotel breakfat, I know that will cheer her up.

I wish I could just go home right now and wrap my arms around her and kiss her lots and lots. That would be a CLM (career limiting move) so I will stay here since I am running a CRP (conference room pilot) and they (everyone, including strangers) are looking to me to get shit done.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH NO!!! Didn't know mono was even a possibility! Maybe she could give it to sam to make her sleep throught the night... oh alright, just kidding. When you get home make sure she gets extra hugs and kisses from the southern cousins. and I totally would have gone for the cookie bouquet :)

Anonymous said...

I remember drying your hair when you had mono, I just didn't want you going to sleep with wet hair!
Please, big hugs, maybe save the kisses for later!!
KUB

Granny said...

Just saw your 8 things list on Jen-o-rama. I love the Rach 2 as well.

I put it on when I'm frazzled and it works every time.

Ann Adams
(aka granny depending on which blog you look at)