Monday, February 20, 2006

Synapses Aren't Quite Firing Correctly This Morning

I popped a Tylenol Simply Sleep at 9:30 last night (consider it the perfect red wine chaser). I still didn't fall asleep until 11:00...Big Deal, you ask? You wake up at 3:30 to get all dolled up (shower, make-up, hair product and hair dryer) for a work day 600 miles away, further by plane since you have to go to Atlanta or Charlotte or Cincinnatti first. I don't think I was actually awake for the dolling up this morning, I certainly don't really remember it. I do know the long sleeved shirt I put on under my sweater is on backwards. I wonder what else I did backwards, incorrectly, etc...
According to Time magazine "42 million: Sleeping-pill prescriptions filled in the U.S. last year, up nearly 60% since 2000" and "$298 million: Amount drugmakers spent in the first 11 months of 2005 to convince consumers that sleep aids are safe and effective--four times as much as they spent in 2004." I sort of understand both figures because I would love to fall asleep at 7:15 with my daughter on Sunday nights (but I never do) but I am really scared of becoming
1. addicted to sleeping pills
2. psychotic from sleeping pills
3. psychotic and addicted to sleeping pills
I know this is nothing to the complete sleep deprivation caused by a newborn. I went through that and can barely remember it. Seriously, I think it is one of the reasons I want another child, I can't remember the first 3 months all that well. I sort of remember the end of the newborn stages when I had gone back to work and would come home on Fridays and need to nurse and would have to ask Hubby to starve the baby so she could nurse as soon as I got off the plane because my boobs were rock hard from plane delays and not being able to pump. That was some fairly major pain. I pumped until she was 6 months old, I started traveling when she was 10 weeks old. That wasn't really fun but I am sure she is healthier from it (or at least I told myself that fairly regularly). It isn't like she only had milk, I couldn't produce enough milk after the second week of traveling and she was eating 50% milk and 50% formula at 12 weeks (if she only gets B's in school I hope I don't blame myself for not putting out more for her). I am the queen of transporting frozen milk, the right hotels to stay at, the best pump, etc...I consider it a niche talent in the consulting industry. Anyway, I am really tired on Monday mornings. I can't really talk to people beyond mono-syllabic grunts, people ask me questions and I look at them like a cow staring at a new fence. I get to the client and can't really answer questions until about 2 pm. I just write down the question and and keep going back to it until I can make enough sense to answer it. And I am not supposed to drink caffeine because after I was done nursing I developed mastitis and it is the only thing that keeps my boobs from really hurting (my one big addiction derailed, now I will have to move on to heroin). I think the mastitis thing is reason #2 for another child, the doctor assures me the mastitis will go away with pregnancy. I can't have caffeine but my boobs won't hurt as much...ok skip reason #2, my boobs will hurt while pregnant. And, although it is easier if I fly out the night before I really like that extra night of sleeping next to a snorting rhinocerous, I mean Hubby. I like my own bed and the cuddle monster who sleeps there. While others have lofty goals, my goal in 5 years is to no longer be traveling or at least not nearly as much. I am not sure what I will do or how but I don't want to travel. One friend thinks I should project manage Hubby's renovation business, which would mean we would live and work together...ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, we need a lot more therapy to get that to rolling. So this morning, when my client started talking about ODBC and DBMS and things like that I nodded, I heard blah blah blah ODBC blah blah blah DBMS blah, wrote some notes down and am now trying to figure out what she was talking about. I am not sure she knows but my notes don't make sense either. I can't wait until 7 when I can take off and crash at the hotel.

I am soooooo tired right now.

2 comments:

Kara said...

like a cow staring at a new fence. girl, you SO funny...
hope you managed to sleep :)

Kristen said...

LOL, the cow/fence comment got me, too! I can't imagine how you do so much traveling. You're a trooper.