Thursday, January 10, 2008

Delurk Now!


Chris let me know yesterday that it is Delurking Day today.
I am a notorious lurker.
Am I being a hypocrite to ask people to delurk when I lurk like a mad woman?
Today I will post comments at every blog I visit, even the sex blogs (must remember not to look at those today).
This actually segues quite nicely into what I was going to blog about then next time I got my lazy ass off the virtual couch of the blogosphere today. Every once in awhile I see who has linked to me using Technorati. I do this out of sheer curiosity. Technorati can show you your blog's rank and all sorts of other things. None of that really interests me but I do like to see where my blog is linked to and if any of the blogs it is linked to are new to me or just unexpected. When I find a link I didn't expect, and the blogger isn't commenting about my horrible prose isn't talking about how mean I am in a bakery has me one their blogroll, it's liking getting a little present. It feels really good, especially if you have no idea who that person is because you don't recall them ever commenting on your blog. It gets even better when the blog is incredibly well written. I read a lot of blogs and some are very carefully crafted, some are quick jots throughout the day, some are a combination thereof. Well written blogs can take many forms, so when I say well written, it is based on how the blog speaks to me, not the way a publisher or your ninth grade English teacher would review it. Yesterday I read a blog, it only has 3 or 4 posts, but it was so well written. The blogger was kind enough to blog roll me and I don't think I know her. I was honored. It made my day.
Then there are some blog etiquette issues that I am not really sure how to handle. Do I leave a comment saying 'Thanks for adding me!' Do I blogroll them back? Do I make them some brownies? I really have no idea about these things. Please don't comment saying 'do what you feels comfortable for you' because I spend a bit of every day thinking how much I would like to crawl out of my own skin. I am the nerdy blogger who sits in the corner at the party because tact has never been my strong point and I am afraid of embarrassing myself and everyone around me.

21 comments:

Jen said...

Do what feels comfortable for you.

Bwahahahahaha.

Just kidding. You should leave a nice comment on their blog, thank them, and see if a blog "relationship" develops and then you can link them.

Could you, uh, link to the (slash)sex blogs(close slash) well-written blog you refer to?

Oh, and btw, de-lurking. I'll go take my turn now.

Lance said...

n, you caught me with my pants down.

Chris Cactus said...

Happy Delurking Day!

Chris said...

Don't ask me about etiquette.

I have an open door policy. If someone wants added to my blogroll, they can just ask.

Happy Delurking Day!

susan said...

Ah, the blogroll. No answer for the whole "do I have to add them and send them blueberry muffins or will a simple fly-by commenting do?" question. Of course, my traffic is so minimal that I really haven't had to deal with that situation. Most of the folks who check in on me are already on my regular reading list.

RE: comment on my post from yesterday -- 6? You mean that there are at least 4 more years of grabbing for the blankets in a blinding panic? How DO people ever have more than one child?!!!!

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

Wait. I say you bake me brownies.

Unknown said...

I'll take some brownies. The kind with the walnuts. Mmm.

Anonymous said...

Brownies ... the version you were given while flying first class?

Girlplustwo said...

hi babe.

Minnesota Nice said...

When this has happened to me, I've checked out their blog and USUALLY found that I like theirs too and visit/comment for a bit before deciding to blogroll them myself. However I haven't reciprocated links on most, mainly due to them not posting very often - which I think is an acceptable reason not to reciprocate.

I missed the criticism of your prose!! WOW, good to know there are English professors with downtime to ensure that we don't have any sub-standard prose on the internet though, we wouldn't want that.

Rhea said...

Hi, there, cute dog in the post before this one. Delurking...

Anonymous said...

Arwen? Tact? In the same sentence????

Mwah!
A.

Anonymous said...

I'm late for delurking day, but delurk I will. I've been reading your blog for about three months now. Back to the lurking now.

cce said...

Late to delurking as well but better late then never.

Anonymous said...

Why don't you visit my blog

http://hedonismandlemonade.blogspot.com/

Stacy said...

delurked on deluker day.... ah!

Granny said...

It should have been Delurking Week. That's how long it takes me to get around these days.

Granny said...

I'm way behind on my blogroll. I've always added anyone who commented more than once (except for the trolls, th it though.

Reciprocal? Sort of. If someone says they've added me, I add them. I don't expect everyone to do

I'm not sure if anyone ever looks at it (it's hidden with a link on the sidebar) and I use Bloglines to keep up.

A cat just flew over my head.

1A said...

I'm late, but ... hi. I think brownies would be a nice gesture.

Creative-Type Dad said...

Make them brownies.

But not after visiting those sex blogs.

josetteplank.com said...

I honestly think that there are a lot of us blogging who are the "sit in the corner" types.

I really that way in real life; in blogdom, I've found my loud, obnoxious voice, lol.

But, you know...do what feels comfortable for you.

;)