Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Break Fast

I started my step down from my fast last night. Yesterday I had a number of juices throughout the day and then broke the fast with miso and a little white rice. So far, so good. I am a juice junky now. This morning I could have had toast or something but I made a cantalope peach juice instead. It was SOOOOOO good. Eesh, I used to say the same thing about bacon and eggs. Actually, I still do say that about bacon and eggs.
Someone asked about protein: no protein in the fast. A short term fast (5 days) with no protein won't hurt your body at all. Americans actually have way too much protein in their diet. I did a lot of research before I started this fast and one thing I found over and over was that people fast to become closer to God. Which makes me ask: if an atheist fasts, what do they become closer to?

Some links that I found very helpful during my fast:
Falco Blanco's 'Master Cleanse' - this was why I decided to add cayenne and lemon to the cayenne to my juices
A general background to fasting and info on fruits and veggies
A very thorough website about fasting (19 chapters)
Juice fasting. org - this has a lot of FAQ's about specific reasons to fast. In particular weight loss, addiction, etc...
I have about 10 more websites that I looked at before starting. There are 1 day to 30 day fasting programs. All of them say you can plan to lose about a pound a day. I will do another weigh in tomorrow to see, I think I have lost about 6 pounds, based on the way my jeans are fitting today. I don't feel bloated anymore. The only side effects I have had is bad breath and my face broke out a little. Today I will start slowly increasing protein again.

In other news: I was reading the Declaration of Indepence yesterday and I was thinking about King George. I know when the DoI was written times were a little more despotic than they are now but I couldn't help draw parallels. I don't much care for the guy, I think his latest and greatest, giving Scooter Libby clemency, nauseates me. Libby perjured himself. Libby lied. If my daughter lies she gets time out. Now, so far, in my daughter's world, she has never lied about leaking the identity of a CIA agent, a leak that endangered the life of that CIA agent (that probably won't happen until she is 9 or so). She still gets a time out. He should too. I think this creates a horrible precedent for all political parties. We can ask for forgiveness but we still have to understand that when we do things that are BAD and we are caught we have to own up to those actions. I can't imagine Barbara Bush being easy on her kids but he seems to think he can get away with anything.
Happy 4th everyone.
Oh - PS - I get to work from home for the next month!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Challenge 20/20 teams said...

yay for you. you've got me tempted to fast.... except I can't stomach vegetable juices. Love to eat veggies- can't drink 'em.

Granny said...

Cantaloupe and peach sounds pretty good.