Friday, March 02, 2007

Missing the Point

Extreme Muslims killing Childrem because of Immorality
I was listening to this story this morning. At One point the news article started talking about 'The Swords of Islamic Righteousness' bombing a children's center for immoral acts. Now I understand that there are people who believe that pre-pubescent girls and boys should not play together. But I think they lose all credibility when they bomb those children playing together.

We Are One Team
I work with a group in India, they do a lot of our technical work. I have about 10 blogs worth of fodder about this aspect of Corporate America. I am too heavily entrenched in it right now to give an unbiased dispatch on the 'off shore model'. I will say the citizen diplomacy is a marvelous thing. The group I work with in India are part of my company, they are not contractors we hire. We are one company. So when the client told us they needed something and the employee who no longer works for us didn't bother to document it, there is no us and them, it is a we situation that WE need to fix. Ultimately the client is going to pay us for the work the requested with the requirements they gave us or they aren't. If we don't deliver the aforementioned techincal work because of pissing matches that my managment gets into between the US and India, noone wins and we go out of business.

Health Insurance
Today I found out that the insurance claim for the physical therapy I had been going to had been rejected because my insurance carrier thought my plan had been cancelled. This is the second time in two years this had happened. I am not sure if it was a communication breakdown on my company's part (we use a HR system that sounds like weeble loft) or on the part of the insurance carrier (the name of which sort of sounds like shmegma) but it has gotten annoying. They have been deducting money for insurance since the beginning of the year. I have been to 4 different doctors this year and Noodle has been to two and even Hubby has been to the doctor (we are all on anti-biotics now). But Hell, at least I have insurance. There are over 44 million Americans in America without insurance.

5 comments:

Kristen said...

Weird. I was just having a discussion today with a co-worker about the whole India business model thing.

Also, weeble loft! You know where I work, so I'm sure there are many horror stories you could tell me about weeble loft here.

Anonymous said...

The insurance company appears to be at blame. When they got our upload file (in early February), apparently things got all screwed up. My antibiotic went from the $25 copay in Jan to $126. Needless to say, the infection got a few days to fight back before the refil kicked in.

One of my Aunts, with ovarian cancer, is one of the 44 million. The family's Christmas gifts turned into cash for Aunt K.... Cash - not checks. There's no way for IRS to trace the cash. Crazy huh. My Aunt and Uncle both work at law abiding jobs. This Christmas we impersonated a bunch-o-mafia or drug-dealers passing envelopes of cash at Christmas.

So, while I had to wait an extra day or two, the price did eventually drop back down. I got a letter of apology and a Starbucks gift card from the Insurance Company.

Andie D. said...

I went about 7 years without health insurance in my late teens/early 20s. I think about it now and it scares the shit out of me.

I remember one time I had what had to be strep throat and tonsillitis. I was feverish and couldn't swallow. Too sick to even drive. I hobbled over to the drug store and asked the pharmicist to recommend something over the counter. He recommended going to a doctor. I cried/moaned/stumbled the whole way home.

Anonymous said...

Kara said you were having a tough week - I hope you are feeling better (or that you do real soon).

Chris Cactus said...

I've never really understood how we're the wealthiest country in the world yet a fairly decent percentage of folks live without insurance.