Sunday, February 25, 2007

I think Mr Cape Buffalo Would Like Some of This

I have been sick for a week (Mr CB of Cape buffalo fame has his own worries and being sick isn't what he wants). I told my friend Erica today that I left work early on Friday and didn't go to work on Thursday because I have been feeling so sick. After there was this stunned silence on the other end of the phone she pretty mush asked if I had pneumonia.
I don't miss work. I work a lot.
I am not a workaholic (stop laughing) but I work until whatever task is complete. Often these projects and tasks are understaffed and I am an idiot pick up the slack when needed. Needless to say clients love me. So when I actually don't work it must be serious. Last summer I ended up at Emory Emergency room because of strep...10 days after I started showing symptoms...Typhoid Mary of the Greater Atlanta area. (I still haven't gotten to what Mr Cape Buffalo really wants).
Tonight Hubby told me I was going to the doctor tomorrow before I went anywhere else. I can go to work after the doctor but I must go there first. (Mr CB probably doesn't want a benign dictator lording over hime either).
I have been ignoring my health in part because I have this lovely cough syrup. It has codeine in it. Now you understand what he probably wants. I just took some, this is the third night I have taken it and won't take it again soon because I am pretty neurotic about addictive substances and becoming addicted to them. But this stuff is lovely. First it completely suppresses my cough and soothes my throat (and head and neck and back), this cough has left my throat raw and my upper body tense. Secondly it puts me into la-la land for about an hour before I fall asleep. This wave of relaxation is like nothing I have ever felt before. Hubby rolled onto me last night and I just murmered 'I love you'. Everything is soft and warm and fluffy. And I don't cough. Then I drift off to sleep.
The fact that a perscription isn't required for this in North Carolina is INSANE!
I am now going to go float.

4 comments:

Mrs Big Dubya said...

Do tell what this magic elixir is!

Kara said...

yeah, seriously. I need to sleep

Arwen said...

I am not sure what the non-generic name of the cough syrup it, all it says on the label to codeine cough syrup. I think you need a perscription in every other state. And everyone wonders why I left Mass...

Kristen said...

Ah yes, I had some of this cough syrup several months ago, and it was awesome. I'm actually starting to get sick too (something horrible is going around), but as wonderful as the cough syrup was, I'm really trying to avoid being sick enough to need it. (I too will keep working... they just keep giving me more! Make it stop!)