I used to think cosmetic surgery was horrible. I used to think it demeaned women's natural beauty and that we should rise above the dominant paradigm's philosophy that women should subjugate themsleves to the blade to be the model of the 'perfect woman.'
But then I got Lasik surgery for my eyes. It IS cosmetic surgery. You don't need it, you can wear glasses, you can wear contacts. Lasik is cosmetic.
Next my friend got the laser surgery to remove her leg and armpit hair and she never has to shave or wax or look fuzzy again. That is sort of appealing but not really. She says it hurts. And you have to get touch ups for life. Not appealing.
And then I grew a moustache.
I noticed it on Sunday. I was sitting in the car with Noodle the other day waiting for Hubby to get a book. We could have been in B&N with him except Noodle had a moment (or screaming and gnashing teeth) so she and I waited in the car. I didn't have anything to read and my iPod was at home so I was just sitting. I called Kara but she didn't answer (I later found she loves me but her phone doesn't love her so I forgive her). I did what anyone would do when they are as bored as I was (noodle was in mandatory quiet time so I couldn't talk with her): I took the car visor down and started staring at all the pimples and blackheads on my face.
AND.THEN.I.SAW.THE.MOUSTACHE.
I have about 10 darker hairs on each side of my mouth. I have a girly moustache. By the time Hubby got back to the car I had successfully made the sides of my face red by trying to rip the hairs out (this doesn't work). Then I asked him how he could kiss my face when I have more face hair then he does. He plead the fifth.
I turned 35 this year and I just grew a moustache. This is natural. It is part of my androgens kicking in, it is what it is. It is not appealing to me. Hubby, brilliant man that he is, said nothing.
I don't even know how to make this go away.
I will assume shaving is not the answer.
When I was a kid my mom's best friend had electrolysis on her upper lip. It sounded horrible.
I am not sure you can get laser hair removal on your upper lip. This too, sounds scary.
Bleach - I will learn to bleach. or something.
But larger than the issue of my moustache, I realize, is that I have always been kind of cute and always on the smaller size of bigger of that makes it a lot easier to be lofty about the 'female ideal' and 'appreciating your natural self' when your natural self is kind of cute and on the smaller side of big. Although I do not see myself jumping on the breast enlargement program anytime soon (I have always had tiny boobs), I do realize when I saw something that I felt was away from the female ideal, I immediately wanted to change it and was willing to permanently change my body to meet my aesthetic ideal of myself.
How pathetically weak. I guess I could justify my position by stating not all cosmetic is equal but it is all equal. Accepting your body the way it is, with pimple and moustaches and cellulite and droopy boobies is what happens, can be very challenging when you think beauty doens't look like that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
In the last year I've had these DISGUSTING old crone chin hairs popping up overnight, eww. Those are pluckable, though. For the moustachio, there is a Nair product you can use on your face, I've used it. But if you do electrolysis I'd be curious to know what it's like and what it costs, I'm in the market myself.
you still have that annoyingly cute ski jump nose and sweet face so I can't listen to you complain about your appearance. I just can't. YOU'RE the pretty one on this team and if you tell me that you're not pretty anymore, then what does that make me?
I have tried three different things--stuff that dissolves the hair, stuff that bleaches the hair, and a home wax thing that allows you to rip the hair out. The former two are messy, take about 15 minutes, and tend to make my sensitive face skin uncomfortable. The last hurts but takes mere seconds. If you're a rip the bandaid off type (I am), that's the one for you. That's a lot like what it feels like. I haven't tried anything expensive or anything that involves others because I find it embarrassing. However, any one of the three methods is effective enough, and only has to be done every couple weeks (more if you're hypersensitive to the way you look). I am only 31. :(
It gets worse as you get older, sorry, the truth hurts. Wax, it hurts and it works.
Post a Comment