Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Books Books Books (and the Senate) (and Ted Haggart)

Dems just took the Senate. Let's take all the president's pens and leave him with crayons to play with for the next two years, shall we? Talk about a resounding change of power. And South Dakota, thank you, all of you, especially my dear friend in Vermillion, who (not single handedly) stopped the fascist legislature trying to completely outlaw abortion. And WNC, thank you for voting out Charles Taylor, because he was just horrible.
(My Atlanta cousins all just rolled their eyes. I am glad our love for eachother isn't based on politics).

Kara nabbed me for a book meme. My first thought was 'What, me read?' but she knows that's a lie. I have not been reading high literature recently. I am constantly looking for good stuff to read.

A book that changed my life: Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsolver. I love her and this was the first book I read by her. I will say my favorite of hers is Poisonwood Bible but Animals Dreams resonated with me when I read it.

One Book I read more than once: Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston.

One book I would want on a deserted island: The Complete Works of Tom Robbins. I don't think this book exists but if it did I would want this. We asked my mom if she would want to named Maestra after reading the first page of Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates. After she read the passage, she loved the idea.

One book that made me cry: Almost everything since I have been pregnant. Freaking hormones. Prior to being pregnant: I can't recall any book making me cry. See, hormones. Ok, seriously now: Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. If you don't know this author you are missing out but this is a very depressing book. He also wrote Remains of the Day.

One book Books I wish had never been written: Anything by Ann Coulter. She annoys me. I can't imagine her books would be much better. Oh, and everything by Terry Goodkind and Robert Jordan (for the same reason): they write series that get stupider and stupider and never end. It's called closure people, close the series.

One book I am reading now: Zombie Survival Guide. It's a must read for people like me (who have amazing zombie anxieties). Since starting to read this I have watched a zombie movie alone in the dark. It's that good.

One book I have been meaning to read: Three Fallen Women by Amy Guth. Anybody have any suggestions? I like a lot of different genres.

Tag: Dooce, Ariana Huffington, Mike Doughty, William Gibson, Kristin
(You may notice that none of the above readers, except Kristin, read this blog. I may actually be one of the last people EVER who got tagged for this meme. I feel like I can pick anyone and they should just know that I have tagged them. I am, after all, the center of my own universe).

My favorite Ted Haggart quote comes from Kathryn over What The Hell She was commenting on the research trying to make queer sheep straight: If only they could manage that with the Republicans. I am tired of them making normal queers look bad.
This quote is priceless for so many reasons. Although no explicitly about Mr Haggart (Foley comes to mind as well) it definitely makes me think about the gay people I know and how normal they are compared to these really strange stories that have been getting lots of press recently.

11 comments:

Andie D. said...

I've worn my "I Voted" sticker for two days now I'm so happy! I finally taped it to my diaper bag. Yes, I need a life.

Did you hear the piece on NPR regarding the Zombie Survival Guide? It was done completely as though the book were real. It was FANTASTIC! The questions that came in were well thought out and the answers just made sense. Good stuff!

Kara said...

Crayons. *snort* I love you.

Minnesota Nice said...

I have mightily enjoyed the fall of Haggart. And "I bought the meth but I threw it away" is possibly the lamest thing ever said, of all time.

Hilarious clips on the Daily Show the other night...of Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell, both claiming "I barely knew the guy!!" Ohhhhh, priceless.

Kristen said...

I haven't done this meme yet, but it's been so long since I've read a book that I feel too ashamed.

I did love Their Eyes Were Watching God, though.

Anonymous said...

I thought I was the only person (besides the guy that let us borrow it) that ever read "Fierce Invalids" I can't believe I haven't been calling my mother The Maestra all this time. Maybe I can get my kids to call me that. That would rule!

I'm reading "Three Fallen Women" right now. There are some really gross parts but I am enjoying it. Very Palahniuk/Robbins so far.

Anonymous said...

Doing my dorksnort laugh and settling in to write my manifesto - I mean, meme list ex libris. Totally made my day. Thanks, Arwen.

Anonymous said...

In memory of William Styron, Darkness Visible illuminates the issues surrounding mental health in a clear and lucid manner. Anyone looking for a non-fiction memoir might look to this 86 page masterpiece.

Anonymous said...

Kazuo Ishiguro should be on everyone's list! Thanks for tagging me...I'll start immediately!

Granny said...

My "I Voted" Sticker is pasted in the computer.

What a happy couple of days that was!!

Unknown said...

LOL..
Hormones indeed. I've had my own struggle with them lately.

I loved Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver. I couldn't get into Poisonwood Bible. I'll have to check out Animals Dream.

And, I know someone else who has Zombie Anxieties. Go see Michael....here. I can't find any way to search his archives but he has shared in the past that he has those anxieties too. He has also read the survival guide and I sent him his own copy, 'cause he kept giving it away.
♥Pam

Amy Guth said...

Wow! Thank you!