Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Health Insurance Companies Just Want To Have Fun

Can someone explain to me why my insurance company will not pay for a tubal ligation, birth control pills or a vasectomy BUT will pay for viagra and a sort of pay for having a baby?
Could it be that my company is run by a bunch of older gentlemen? Maybe.
Could it be that Viagra is cheaper than birth control pills? NO!!!!!
Could it be that the insurance companies are responding to the popularity of the Viagra? That doesn't make sense because then Lasik would be covered.
Could it be that the insurance companies just want to have fun? That must be it, except for the fact we all know we would rather have a root canal without novacaine then call an insurance company to try to understand why we owe the amount of money we owe a doctor.

Free health care now! Free health care now! Or at least free birth control. I wonder if any of the Canadians who read this blog can tell me if these services are covered for you guys up there...

8 comments:

Kristen said...

Free health care now!! Maybe if we scream it loudly enough it will work. Oh wait, that only works ON ME WHEN MY KIDS DO IT. I forgot.

Don't even get me started on health insurance. Luckily I now have *better* insurance than I did - but at my last company, I think I was paying for the right to pretend I had health coverage, because in actuality, they covered NOTHING. Assholes.

Kara said...

I think it's partly because Viagra is meant to restore a lost, naturally occuring function... and also because guys just like having boners. I can't believe I just typed boner. I hate that word, but there it is again. Boner, boner, boner.

Um, and, boner.

Knock knock.
Who's there?
Boner.

okay, I'm done now.

Anonymous said...

I have been raging about this for years. It is Christian men who want boners. (It looked fun when Kara typed it).

I know for a fact that if you added up every birth control pill I have taken in my entire life (and I was on the pill for 13 years) it would still be waaaaaaaaay cheaper than the 41 days I spent in the hospital when I was pregnant. Or the $75,000 PER KID my insurance company had to pay just for the week in the NICU.

But insurance covered that.

Go figure.

Granny said...

Ridiculous isn't it. CA just passed a health care bill. Our governator will veto it.

Minnesota Nice said...

Ugh, I've been ranting about this for ages too. But it also all boils down to Western medicine in general: we don't do prevention. Once you're pregnant, everything's covered, including a termination...but prevention? You're on your own.

Sara nailed it, it's Christian men who want boners running the show.

Awesome post.

Anonymous said...

The men running your company are not as old as you think: CEO 49, COO 52, CFO 38.

At least now that I am in my mid-30s, I'm no longer considering late 40s old.

Anonymous said...

The men running your company are not as old as you think: CEO 49, COO 52, CFO 38.

At least now that I am in my mid-30s, I'm no longer considering late 40s old.

Beck said...

Hm. I'm Canadian.. prescription medications of any sort aren't covered by health care. We have some private medical insurance to cover part of the costs of prescription drugs, and I believe that it does include the pill.
OHIP (the Ontario branch of the health care system) does cover the costs of both vasectomies and tubal ligations, though. Believe me, Canada's health care system is NOT perfect. (8 to 9 hour emergency wait times, hello?)