Susan at Friday Playdate reminded me that there is a "the obligatory my baby is starting school post, as required by the Official Mommy blogging Handbook (page 342)" which I meant to blog about her first day of school, but Wednesday verged on a borderline acid trip. Noodle was fine, great, even, I was the one on the acid trip. See, that what happens when you only have 2.5 hours of sleep the night before your child's first day of school. Noodle has been anxious so even if we were feeling anxious we didn't let her know. I handled my anxiousness by blogging and not doing dishes. Hubby has been handling his new school anxiety by drinking reassuring me. I fell asleep at about 11:30 Tuesday night and woke up at 2:30 with horrible stomach cramps. I took some Tylenol and tried to go back to sleep but Hubby was snoring and I was anxious and in pain so I stayed up. At 5 a.m. I went to the supermarket to get bread and tortillas and eggs and batteries, things everyone needs at 5 am and then I made homemade biscuits at 6 because every little southern girl needs homemade biscuits for breakfast on her first day of school (what was I thinking?). I woke Noodle and Hubby up at 6:45. In the most despondent five year old voice known to man kind Noodle said ‘Today is the first day of kindergarten.’ It sounded like we were going to put her favorite cat down or something. It took Hubby 30 minutes to convince her to get out of bed and he had to promise her a dollar if she would get dressed. While they got ready upstairs I made lunch downstairs. Her first lunch: ham and cheese sandwich and strawberries. But then I wasn’t sure whether she needed a snack. They needed snack at pre-school but I wasn’t sure about kindergarten. So I made her a snack as big as her lunch.
We got to school a minute before school started and weren’t the last people to get there (phew!). She wouldn’t talk and she wouldn’t acknowledge that the teacher existed. We left after the nice talk we all make and headed for the car. Hubby asked if I wanted to go get a coffee but I told him I was about to throw up (which I was) and that I wanted to go work out (which I didn’t). I did go work out, got a 45 minute nap and got her at 4 pm from the after school program. At 1:30 I was ready to get her but had to wait it out.
And wait it out.
And wait it out.
And exhaustion started creeping up on me. I was worried she hadn’t gotten on the bus to the after school program (she did), the she got on the wrong bus for the wrong after school program (she didn’t), that she was a screaming banshee attacking everyone at the school all day (oh, please).
She was fine. She was happy to see me and we went swimming and had a nice time at the pool. I fell asleep by 9:30 I was so exhausted. I was the mess.
Thursday we had off and Friday when she went school she talked but not to the teacher (yet). I promise to upload pictures of her first day when I get the photos into the other computer.
My baby is growing up, I hope I can grow up with her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I went to bed last night at 7:45. I think I was asleep before the kids.
School is EXHAUSTING. And I have another First Day on Monday. Kill me now.
Ouch. Bryce's first day is Monday, but I feel slightly lucky and less insane about the whole thing since it's really the second year for this routine. But last year...oh my god. It was hell on me.
That first time with the oldest child is always hard - on you, not necessarily them.
She'll be running the place by the end of next week.
We just did the elementary to middle school for the two younger girls. I was a nervous wreck. They were a little anxious but still did fine.
Post a Comment