Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Why Can't Corporate America Be More Like A Miyazaki FIlm?

I have been remiss in my blogging, but I have been home, which doesn't feel like work, even when I am working from home. Tomorrow I have to leave to start my new project in Atlanta, which is a three and a half hour drive away. And this week I get to stay here so I really shouldn't complain. Except I really dont want to go. I have become quite disenchanted with the company I work for and was hoping I could give notice yesterday but it didn't pan out the way I would have liked. So I am going to help a company figure out the best way to collect royalties from their franchises. And this is when I wish corporate america was a little more like a Miyazaki film. If you don't know who Miyazaki is then you need to go rent (or buy) Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service and Porco Rosso RIGHT NOW! There is always a whip smart, young cute heroine and she isn't always saving the universe, sometimes she is learning not to be a brat, sometimes she is a plane engineer, sometimes she has been cursed by a jealous witch. Always the characters have a cool way of traveling around and I think my commute to work would be MUCH more fun if I could switch a dial in my castle and voila, I was in a new city. Or, it would be pretty cool if I could ride a flying broom to work. I could ride a non-flying broom to work but the commute would take awhile (I just envision walking from Asheville to Dallas with a broom between my legs on the interstate...that might draw some looks). Also the story lines are often fairly complex, not just a good guy / bad guy kind of scenario. In Princess Mononoke it was hard to say who the good guys were and who the bads guys were. This isn't what I expect from a cartoon. I definitely enjoy watching this more than some of the other movies Disney is distributing. Maybe this week I will pretend to be Fio from Porco Rosso where I am a brilliant 17 year old plane engineer instead of a sort of boring 35 year old IT consultant. A plus to being in Atlanta, I have a lot of family here (my husband and I refer to them as the Atlanta Contingent). I have a pretty cool, slightly quirky family. Quirky, you ask? They dress up in white for croquet and drink alcoholic beverages in long stylish glasses while playing. My mom had a contract out on my aunt's parrot since he was a violent, crazy animal. My aunt's parrot also taught me how to swear (he is deceased now but NOT because of my mom, it was absolutely natural causes). It is always a pleasure to see them, they are a great big mess of fun and there are 4 generations here in Atlanta so I will stay busy. I was looking for this famous picture of my cousins in their hats and croquet mallets but I do not have one that is digital. And I would have to get permission from like 6 people so I will just say, it is a great photo, they are great people. Although, they did threaten me recently. At Noodle's very fun 5th birthday party we had cake and cupcakes that were quite good. When I called the family to tell them I was coming they said that they wouldn't make me peanut butter cookies (a famously good cookie) unless I brought cupcakes. I used to get cookies just for showing up. Now I had to trade. Can you imagine...my own family extorting me for sweets? So I have 6 chocolate cupcakes with buttercream frosting sitting in my fridge at the hotel, the will power not to eat them is amazing.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Yuck, sorry you're back to traveling and still working for the man, but at least you're staying in an awesome hotel and have some family nearby to play with...that should make the time pass more quickly for you!

Granny said...

And is their house called Tara? It sounds awesome.

The girls and I love Spirited Away. I'll have to look for the others.

Anonymous said...

We do have a fabulous family! The main reason we are fabulous is that we have withstood the test of time. You can't have this many unique personalities without some discord, but we grumble and get over it. There is an underlying layer of support and love. That doesn't mean we won't hold peanut butter cookies ransom for chocolate cupcakes with buttercream icing! Which, have been consumed in less than twelve hours. There are two problems with Arwen coming to the Atlanta area. One, she is working so we only get to play a little and two is I miss her when she must leave. I would work on getting her to move to Atlanta, but she is a great reason to go to Asheville and Asheville is one of only a couple of places I could live except for Atlanta. There is a rumor she is going to bring Elizabeth to play with my Grandprincesses in a couple of weeks. The fun will be over the top!
cousin Kathy(as Arwen pointed out at Elizabeth's birthday party"Her OLDER cousin"!)

Anonymous said...

I had a cupcake for breakfast and i am now faced with a major dilemma. Do I make a complete little piggy of myself and consume the other two before I have to pick up court at 4:30, or do I save them and let the girls have them after dinner. Why, oh why do they have to be so yummy? What do they put in those cupcakes in Asheville?!! Hmmm. Think I will share only because I know Sam will just eat the icing and then I can eat the mutilated cupcake remains and still look like a good kind hearted mommy, MUAHAHAHA. Look what you have done to me...