skip to main |
skip to sidebar
This is Going to be a Problem
I got an email today and that is the only thing it said. It came from a person who makes Change Management Consultants earn their keep. I am not a change management consultant but am very good at getting people excited! to have their little bit of corporate america change. The person who sent me this email wants nothing to change. She works 60 hours weeks, she looks like she hasn't slept in months, she obsesses about fixed assets. And she likes it this way. I am helping this company CHANGE their ERP system so that they don't have as many people working 60 hours weeks, so that thier P2P system is more efficient, so that people don't chase other people down with paper, so that employees actually know why their requisition has not been approved yet. Will there be BIG changes? Yes, but they are good or I wouldn't advise them. And the response I get from one woman, who seems to hold the accounting department hostage with her ability to handle FA the way no other can is 'this is going to be a problem.' So instead of emailing the woman to fucking relax I set up a meeting with her and the financial controller and the senior accountant and I coax her issues out so that we all know what they are. I mean, I know all are suprised that I couldn't figure out exactly what the problems are from a one line email stating 'this is going to be a problem.' Usually my telepathy is so much better, the plane incident must be negatively effecting me. So we have the meeting and we list all the issues out. And then I had the Controller explain why 8 of the 9 issues are not really issues (if it comes from a member of the company and not the consultant employees will listen a little more...especially when the controller is her boss.) I conceded the last issue, we needed to test it out so we knew whether it was a big issue, a little issue or no issue at all. So I tested it and, guess what, not an issue. I am sure she will find more issues. What this woman's issue really is: change. And maybe, she is a little worried about only working 40 hours weeks. I am horrible at change so I definitely feel her pain. I can tell others what to do but am not great at it myself. Except I don't really care about work change because it's work. Blah, work. I don't do well with my life paradigm making big shifts, I often tend to wind up a a little overwhelmed. I can do fine with work change (or I change work so I am happy again) but home change freaks me out. When this kind of stuff happens I usually have Hubby saying things like 'Fucking relax.' Hubby could have his whole world change about every ten minutes and he would 'ride the chaotic wave' (that's his quote, not mine). Of course, I think if he wanted to go into Change Management consulting he wouldn't last long because he often has the attitude of 'I don't understand your issue here' (thus the comment). So he gets a 10 when it comes to handling change and a 3 on being empathic about change (sorry, Hon, you know its the truth). I get a 3 when it comes to handling change and a 10 for the empathy involved to get people to change. I think I get about a 4 handling Hubby handling me. He gets about a 6 handling me handling him handling me. (did you follow that?)I roll off this project in 1 day and I am counting the hours. I can't wait to get home and have Hubby handle me for awhile.
3 comments:
and if he "handles" you with chanpagne? even better.
the line is, "surf the chaos." it's an old high country ocoee quote from the summer of the olmpics when over 5000 commercial guests made it down the river in one day.
Sounds like my last company. Nobody wanted anything to change; they wanted to keep bitching about things and simultaneously hold on to their carved out territories. It drove me insane.
Post a Comment