Thursday, April 13, 2006

Today is Noodle's Fifth Birthday

Today I met Noodle and her Dad in Boston, where we will start packing up her grandmother's house. This is the grandmother whom she is named after, it is my mother's house, although it isn't my home. Noodle remembers her Mimi and tells me that she can't wait for her to come back. We had steak and corn on the cob and lobster and apple juice for dinner (with champagne for the adults) because that is what she wanted for dinner. She remembers last year's birthday, she says she remembers her trip to Maine, although it was when she was barely three. She only remembers her mother leaving home for days at a time for work. She remembers her dad being the person who soothes her when she has a bad dream and that he hit every major milestone with her (sitting up, talking, crawling, walking, complex sentences). Her life is so different than any other child I know.
I remember the first time she told me something that we didn't teach her. It was about maple syrup.
I remember the first time I heard her say a complex sentence (5 words), she was nearly 3 but decided not to talk for the longest time.
I remember the first time I saw her walk, I remember the first time I saw her crawl.
I remember the first time I heard her say ma and look at me at the same time.
I remember the first time she smiled at me and I knew it wasn't gas.
I remember the first time I held her in my arms and new for the first time in my life I could kill ...to protect her.
I remember when I told my husband we were getting married (so romantic, I know).
I remember when I told my husband, but he was my boyfriend at the time, that we were going to have a baby.
I remember being alone when I found out I was pregnant, my boyfriend was 3500 miles away without access to phones, electricity, running water (there was a river, does that count?) and beer.
I remember when my boyfriend and I decided to buy a house together.
I remember the first time I told my boyfriend I loved him.
I remember the first kiss.
I remember the first date, we went to see a batman movie.
I remember the first time I met him, 13 years ago.
Happy birthday Noodle, Happy birthday Hubby. I love you both with all my heart.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making me tear up! What a wonderful post. To many more happy birthdays!

Kara said...

oh jeez. you got me. can't wait to see you guys. HAPPY BIRTHDAY NOODLE!!

Kristen said...

Happy Birthday to Noodle! Hope it was a great one... That was a really sweet post.

Susan said...

pass the kleenex. please.

happy birthday, Noodle. you have a great mommy there.

but I'm sure you know that.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Noodle!