I am trying something new, I am writing my post in Word and it is supposed to upload to my blog for me. I hope this works. How is everyone? I am great. I quit my last company, as I not so recently posted, and have been a tad bit busy. I would love to tell you I was happily busy in my glass studio, breaking glass and making art, but we still don't have electricity in the building.
Patience, Charlie, patience. (This is an old Charlie Parker album, in case you are wondering).
I have gotten my first gig under my new company. It will last 13 weeks and it is running an implementation of one of my favorite applications. I have set up my own company and have a new company email address which I have shared with a few people who I chat with quite often. One of these people sent me the following email:
Dear Arwen,
I would hire you, but I still don't really understand what you do.
Love,
Jen
Hmmm, OK. In the last two weeks I have tried to explain my work repeatedly, all to no avail. I often think of this famous quote: I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that…so what I've been doing lately is kick-boxing, which is a new sport.
I have actually skirted all those career avenues without become a kick-boxer, although that may be my life work and I just haven't realized it yet. I am an Information Technology consultant, in particular a database applications maven. There are some people that want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I help people implement the software that will allow them to do that. In particular, I specialize in the Order to Cash process. I help people implement the software to take orders, process orders, ship orders, invoice orders and account for said orders. I can work with companies that rely heavily on sales reps and I can work for companies that heavily rely on call centers and I can work with companies that do lots of different types of sales. Sometimes, I work heavily with customer service groups. I set up complex pricing systems, contracting systems and even can implement systems that generate commission statements for that sales system I just implemented.
In a nutshell, I enable consumerism.
5 comments:
And yet, you are not a Republican.
Fascinating.
I think I understand what you do now. If I decided that I wanted to have pictures on my website of a grant application that would allow clients to choose the features they wanted for it and would then assemble the grant application and ship to them, you could make that happen on my website for me. Right down to implementing a shopping cart on the site and customer service information, and maybe even a live chat feature!
Right?
You are too funny! You need to give me a call when you have time so you can catch up on it all!
A.
I mean..."So you can catch ME up on it all."
Sorry. Me = blonde.
so first, that last line? it's like a 6 word eulogy, i LOVE it.
second, damn woman, you are freaking smart!
You work for Tha Man! I'm calling you tomorrow , I swear. Just worked 12 days in a row (8 nights in a row, too- please, let's not forget the nights) and am about to collapse. Feel a wee bit better about sinking into the work abyss just as you had massive life upheaval because I visited you in person last month, but not really.
<3 u.
will do this meme-y thing
happy word verification: txsuxis
Post a Comment