I think a lot of people can look at my life and see good things - some might point and say that I'm "lucky" for those. But a lot of people look and see bad things, tough times, challenges, struggles - the things that are my strokes of bad luck, maybe. But I see my luck differently.
I am lucky to have been hospitalized for depression at the very young age of 24, because I was able to face many issues that otherwise might have gone unchecked for years.
I am lucky to still be alive in spite of the depths of that depression.
I am lucky to have had 16 years with a sincerely loving father before I lost him to cancer.
I am lucky to have a mother I can talk to by phone whenever I want, even if I can't see her often.
I am lucky to have broken off my engagement amicably, before a wonderful man and I got stuck in an unhappy marriage.
I am lucky to have enough money in the bank to deal with car trouble or unemployment when they strike me suddenly.
I am lucky to look in the mirror and see five extra pounds, because it means that I am well fed and healthy.
I am lucky to be single during an intense period of self-discovery.
I am lucky to have friends in this great blogosphere who listen when I whine and complain about all the blessings in my life that I just don't notice.
That's the thing with luck - it's always there, if you just look for it.
This blog is part of the Blog Exchange. It was written by a wonderful writer and photographer LD.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Dooood. Put quotation marks around that, you made me twitch until I saw who it was written by. (I am not OCD, I'm ADD with a touch of OCD for flavor and obsessive fun)
It's always nice to hear/read someone acknowledging the things we all often take for granted, a nice reminder to pause and take stock. A regrouping of attitude.
Thanks for sharing this one.
Post a Comment